What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ramp Checks for Gimps?

6S4 Hugo

I have a "friend" who is pretty gimped up and must use forearm crutches to get around. My "friend" has a question:

He'd really like to get back into flying and he's very interested in the RV-12. If he was flying and landed and got out with crutches, could the FAA guys do a ramp check and determine him unfit to fly?

Sport Pilot lets us Self-Certify...but if there is an obvious physical problem, could my "friend" get his ticket pulled? :confused:

Background: He still walks, drives a manual transmission very well and otherwise is quite able to get around. The deficit is primarily on his left side.

Does he have a valid driver's license? Any restrictions on the DL?

Valid D/L and only restriction is same for all us "old farts":
"Must wear corrective lenses"

He just finished a drive of over 4,200 miles...the last 3,300 was towing a trailer. Except for the blue "gimp sticker" in his window, you couldn't tell anything was amiss.

d really like to get back into flying and he's very interested in the RV-12. If he was flying and landed and got out with crutches, could the FAA guys do a ramp check and determine him unfit to fly?

Sport Pilot lets us Self-Certify...but if there is an obvious physical problem, could my "friend" get his ticket pulled? :confused:

Background: He still walks, drives a manual transmission very well and otherwise is quite able to get around. The deficit is primarily on his left side.

I have a friend who uses crutches after a neck injury, but has a clean medical that he acquired after the injury. IIRC he had to take a checkride (in a Beech Musketeer) and after demonstrating that he could fly the unmodified Beech got his ticket.

There are a number of "wheelchair" aviators that require modified controls, but they also have medicals.

My point is that AMEs don't do ramp checks. This is a non-problem

There are still restrictions

The pilot must be "not known to have any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light sport aircraft in other than a safe manner". Physical disabilities can be adressed with a letter from a personal physician clearing us for driving and flying. While it's my understanding that an agent of the FAA may take action pretty much any time they want, carrying such a letter along with your Drivers License and Sport Pilot Certificate should help prevent the problem you suggest.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

FAA Does Ramp Checks

My point is that AMEs don't do ramp checks. This is a non-problem
You are correct in that AMEs aren't doing spot physicals on airport ramps. The physical waivers you refer to are called SODAs (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) and are used when those of us with medicals (non-sport) don't meet required physical parameters or have some sort of disability. IIRC, applications for a waiver is made to OK City, and the testing/ demonstration is done at your local FSDO.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP.

double above the knee amputee

I have a friend who is an double amputee who built and flys both an RV4 and RV9A. He uses forearm crutches and removes his legs and uses connectors of his own design to hook himself up to the pedals to fly. I believe he had to do a checkride to demonstrate ability and he built special devices into his aircraft to deal with rudders/braking etc. Both aircraft are certified regular homebuilts, not sport pilot/LSA type planes.

He and his RV4 were on the cover of the EAA magazine acouple of years ago...hence his RV4's name: Cover Girl

Jeremy

I'm a gimp.

I guess I am a gimp. I have a below the knee amputation on my left leg. Motorcycle accident, another story. No problem flying my C-182. Don't expect any problem with my 9-A when completed. SODA (Statement of Demonstrated Ability) says "Must wear artificial limb". Yes, the medical says "must wear corrective lenses" as well.

I have a below the knee amputation on my left leg.

Some guys will do anything to lighten the aircraft. ;)

Seriously, the -12 is extremely light on the controls, forgiving, and easy to get in and out of for a low wing. Should make a great choice for pilots that are physically challenged or have mobility challenges now or in the future.

Last edited:
son's a gimp +

My son is a c-6/7 quadriplegic with a light sport pilot's lic. He got his license through Ableflight, the same people who trained the girl without arms. We hope to build a 12 soon and modify it for him to fly solo. I really don't think crutches are a problem. My son will be getting out with a wheel chair in the back of the aircraft.:)

Does your friend currently have a valid medical, or did he have one that he allowed to expire? Or, did your friend have his medical revoked or apply for one and fail the exam? If he currently has a valid medical or he let one expire and has never failed a medical exam, he should be good to self-certify for Light Sport.

If his medical was yanked or he failed an exam, he's SOL.

Does your friend currently have a valid medical, or did he have one that he allowed to expire? Or, did your friend have his medical revoked or apply for one and fail the exam? If he currently has a valid medical or he let one expire and has never failed a medical exam, he should be good to self-certify for Light Sport.

If his medical was yanked or he failed an exam, he's SOL.

Never had a medical revoked. My "friend" just let his medical lapse. "He" just doesn't want to get started building a -12 and find out he can't fly it. I want to thank everyone for the great advice. I'll pass the info on to my "friend".

Wishing everyone CAVU and 30 knot tailwinds.

Back