What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RAMI bent whip COM antenna mounting question

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm planning on mounting the Rami bent whip COM antenna on the forward floor, just in front of the spar and just under the gear mount.

The floor skin in 0.040 (pretty thick) and I can mount it such that 2 of its 4 screws will pass through the floor stiffener, which would be a very solid mount. If I do that, I can't use the "backing plate" that it comes with, since the stiffener will be in the way.

Has anyone else done it this way?

Whip

I mounted mine just forward of that location, using a doubler. Floor skins are fairly thick, I still installed a doubler.
Regards

Doubler with a "joggle"

Dave,

The avionics gent that helped me with my panel and avionics upgrade (which included adding a second COMANT bent whip antenna and moving the first) provided a couple of the doublers seen in the pic below. They have joggles on one side and one end that fit over the stiffeners. I drilled out four rivets and intalled the doubler with rivets through the stiffeners and the side joggle on the doubler. My antennas are behind the spar, so the install in yours may or may not be similar, but if you are interested, I can ask him his source, or see if he has any more on hand.

comantdoubleryn5.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

Dave,

I mounted mine in the same place. Here is the picture and text from my web site:

These are so many options when it comes time to install the antennas. The transponder antenna is located right behind the firewall on the right side, next to the fuel vent. The com antenna is forward of the spar, under the pilots left knee with the aft two #8 screws piercing the spar flange. One advantage of keeping everything forward of the spar is that none of those thick cables have to go through the spar, which has limited passages. The remaining hole, seen in this picture will be used as the pass through for the pitot and AoA lines.

Back