What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ram air

N661DJ

Well Known Member
I am doing a condition inspection on a friends RV7, equipped with IO-390 with a "RamAir" induction that incorporates a K&N filter. The filter housing is a cone shaped aluminum cylinder with large, 3" holes, around it's circumference
these holes are covered, between the filter and the aluminum housing, with a plastic material .0030" thick that act as a check valve when the ram air is closed.
Problem, the plastic is cracked and part has broken off and I need to find a replacement. Unfortunately, I do not know the mfg. of the filter housing.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Dick

Rod recently changed the thickness of that material. He dropped me a sheet in the mail. I suspect that he would do the same for your friend.

Bob

Did it get thicker or thinner?

I believe thicker, but I haven't installed it yet. It is still sitting in an envelope at the hangar. I was waiting until my conditional to install.

I was talking to another RV-10 builder and he informed me that Rod just replaced his due to some issue he was experiencing. I can't recall the particulars at the moment, but when I called Rod, he just sent me the updated material.

I would give Rod a call or drop him an email to get the specifics.

Bob,
Thanks for the info. I purchased some material locally that is thinner .0015"
not comfortable using it, have sent Rod an Email, sounds like the thicker material is a better solution.
Dick

Bob,
not comfortable using it, have sent Rod an Email, sounds like the thicker material is a better solution.
Dick

Give me a few days ( my daughter's college graduation is today) and I'll try to measure the thickness the next time I'm at the hangar.

Bob,
I measured the broken piece removed from the filter .0031"
Congrats on the graduation.
Dick

Bob,
Dick

Bob,
I measured the broken piece removed from the filter .0031"
Congrats on the graduation.
Dick

Are you guys sure about the quantity of zeros you are using???

Back