What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio to Intercom Harness Gounding Question

nippaero

Well Known Member
I am making up a harness for my new PS8000BT. They tell you that all shields should be grounded at the audio panel only. Other ends are floating. Which makes sense for the mic jacks etc.

Here is the PS8000BT side of the harness. My question is should I also ground the shielding at the SL40 radio side of the harness as well?

2016-08-07-14.36.19-4.jpg

No, shields are grounded only at the audio panel.

More info: for audio lines ground the shield only at the audio panel; but when you have a dedicated ground (e.g., "mike LO") run that line thru the same shielded cable (2 conductors inside the shield) to "mike LO" at the other box. If there is none, connect it to ground.
Important exception: coax cables used for RF need their shields connected, properly, at both ends.
What is the coax in the photo used for?

I might have spoke too soon. I just noticed on the SL40 instllation manual that it shows both ends of the shield grounded between the COM and the Audio Panel. Is this what I should do?

The coax lead is for the marker beacon antenna.

2016-08-07-16.42.04.jpg

Here's a picture of the whole harness. It was built by AS when I ordered my PM8000BT from them.

2016-08-07-14.38.13.jpg

Last edited:
Ignore the drawing, connect the shields only to the audio panel ground, except the MB coax shield must be connected at both ends, the audio panel, and at the antenna ground.

Back