What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio static vanished after flying in rain?

RV3bpilot

Well Known Member
I have the normal static hiss when I key up the radio to do position reports except the other day I flew into some light misty rain and when I keyed up there was no static hiss! That caught my attention but after about 5 minutes after I was out of the rain the static hiss came back..
What happened? Has anyone else had this happen to them? Is my aircraft building up a static charge as I fly? Do I need static wicks?

Grounding Issue?

Flying through rain would actually increase any static build-up that may be occuring. It's referred to as P-static for "precipitation static". My first thought was that the rain reduced the resistance to ground of something like an antenna. If you have access to a milliohm meter you may want to check your grounds.

Just my $0.02.

Radio static

I checked the ground when I first put it in with a meter but I will do it again per your advice.

Note he said "milliohm" meter, a standard meter won't go low enough to do much good.

Radio static problem solved

I found that when the battery was full charged the static went away so I was pretty sure that the alternator was the problem making spikes in the power line. So I added three small capacitors to the power line and all the static is gone.
The capacitors I added was for different frequencies.
1st Cap. .001 uf Hi freq.
2nd Cap. .1 uf Med. freq.
3rd Cap. 4.6 uf Low. freq.

I twisted the wires together of all three capacitors and soldered them on the power line and the other side of the capicitors was soldered to the ground wire.

These Capacitors are small, light weight and cheap on e-bay, Get the ones that look like a resistor with one wire coming from each end of the Cap. that makes for easy soldering and helps to keep the power wires seperated from the ground wires. Make sure to cover each with shrink tube or electrical tape when done.

Back