What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

radio stack sequence in lower console.

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I'm using one of Aerosport1's carbon panels w/lower center console(really nice looking).

I'll be putting a stack consisting of SL30, gtx327 and Pse9000b in the lower console location which is directly below the engine controls. I'm a low time pilot currently working on my instrument rating. I just don't have enough experience to know if there's a logical order of components.

When people are putting these components in the main panel, the top to bottom sequence seems to be audio, nav/com, transponder. I don't know if this would change given that you are reaching down/looking down when installed lower, not straight out as in a main panel.

430w will be directly above in main center panel.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom Hanaway
Learning something new every day.

I would put the SL30 on top. My reasoning is that in case you have to use the built in CDI in IFR conditions, you are going to want to have that as close to normal eye scannig level as possible.

In the lower console, that may not make a significant difference, but an inch higher is probably better than being an inch lower.

I see no problems with the audio panel or transponder in the lower console. If it were my aircraft, I would attempt to do what ever possible to get the SL30 and the 430w together in the upper comm stack.

What else are you putting in the upper comm stack that forces the SL30 to the bottom?

When in solid IFR, you want to minimize head movement as much as possible.

bob

Somewhere, in one of my instruction set's, it was recommended to have some distance between the transponder and audio panel.........I believe.
I don't have time to look it up, but it's worth checking into.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Somewhere, in one of my instruction set's, it was recommended to have some distance between the transponder and audio panel.........I believe.
I don't have time to look it up, but it's worth checking into.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

If the fear is one of interference, this may have been a concern for older transponders with cavity magnetrons. Most modern transponders however are solid state and do not have a cavity magnetron, so it should not be a concern.

Back