What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio Stack Placement

rcarson

Well Known Member
Could anyone take a picture of their installed radio stack from the top or does anyone have a picture of their stack of trays so I can see how they were secured to the forward fusilage. I believe I know how to acomplish this but it would be good to see some successful installations to be more confident in what I am doing. I will be looking for trays and wiring diagrams for the installation so I don't have to burn warranty time during build time. The idea is to do it all before the forward fusilage is closed. Thanks for any help you can give.
Dick Carson

I found one pix that might be helpful. The back end of the radio stack gets attached via two angle bracket that has been riveted to the back sub panel and hold the back end of the radio trays. The ducktape is only to hold the trays together for installation. The were removed once all lined up and installed.

I hope this pix is much of use and I will look to see if I can find more.

2009-01-12 023 by bavafa1, on Flickr

Last edited:
RV-6A install

I've got some pictures and description of my avionics stack installation at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/panel/panelPg3.htm#photo1

and some side and top views at:

http://rv6aproject.ckhand.com/panelAndElectrical/electrical/electricalPg2.htm

Avionics trays:

RV-6AN731CK1.JPG

Trays with radios:

RV-6AN731CK2.JPG

Top installed view:

electrical003.JPG

And final installation:

n731ck-3.jpg

Hope those help.

Below is the picture of my panel with equipment stack and wiring to be installed in fuselage. I had to fabricate a support in subpanel for heavy rear side of radio rack.

sized_DSC01114.JPG

sized_DSC01104.JPG

Bezel fit

When fitting the avionics (Garmin stuff) to the instrument panel, does the back of the bezel fit snug up to the panel or is it best to leave a 'hair' of space?

Thanks

When fitting the avionics (Garmin stuff) to the instrument panel, does the back of the bezel fit snug up to the panel or is it best to leave a 'hair' of space?

Thanks

It sorta depends on the specific piece of equipment and also how picky you are about having the faces of them all flush. We normally strive to have the faces all flush (instead of stair stepped), because if you put each tray in for the fact to fit perfect against the panel, they will not always end up flush with each other vertically. Also, some of the radios like the SL-30/40 have "ears" on the side that actually protrode into the sides of the stack cutout/opening and are never flush with the face of the panel. If you need some detaile pics let me know...we usually have quite a few panels in the shop going together.

Cheers,
Stein

I did mine this way:

Some angle on the GNS430W tray secured to the subpanel, with angles connecting all 3 trays together.

IMG_0863.JPG

Back