What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio Ops Without Antenna Connected

Noah

Well Known Member
Just finishing up panel wiring, but without wings on yet, some antennas are not yet connected. Is there any risk to running radios without all antennas connected? I'm not talking about transmitting here, just powering the radios on and checking local interfaces with ARINC & EFIS, etc. I checked Garmin's documentation and couldn't find anything about this. Just want to make sure that this isn't "so obvious" that they don't even list it (yeah right)!

I am no expert, but as I understand it, as long as you do not transmit, it should not be a problem----at least to the radio.

Dont know how the rest of the little magic boxes of electrons will react.

Right

No problem running the radios without antenna.
Do NOT, however, key the transmitter without the antenna. That can blow the output power section.

As long as the 330 is not the ES model it's ok, but keep it in stby anyway.
Everything else should be ok, make sure you know how to recognize if the comm is transmitting in case you have a "stuck mic" situation.

Just finishing up panel wiring, but without wings on yet, some antennas are not yet connected. Is there any risk to running radios without all antennas connected? I'm not talking about transmitting here, just powering the radios on and checking local interfaces with ARINC & EFIS, etc. I checked Garmin's documentation and couldn't find anything about this. Just want to make sure that this isn't "so obvious" that they don't even list it (yeah right)!

Powering on your radio will not have any ill side effects on your system. But, as stated in the previous post do not transmit. The radio wave will be reflected back to your transceiver and cause serious damage. Better off to connect your antenna just as a precaution in case of a stuck ptt.

Good point on the stuck mic, guys. I will definitely connect my com antenna temporarily, "just in case". Appreciate the quick responses.

Actually most modern low power comms (10W) are relatively immune to the output damage caused by an open antenna, not recommended mind you but chances are no damage will result from short term transmitting with an open antenna. On "Vintage" radios transmitting into an open antenna could certainly fry the output if done for to long.

The higher the power the more likely the damage, it can still be a problem on higher power (20W+) comms. The 330 for instance is 250W output, it can be damaged rather quickly if the antenna is not there, so keep it in stdby just to be sure it's not talking to anyone.

Back