What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radio installation

PeteP

Well Known Member
I have put this off or about as long as I can. I have to mount a Garmin 430, a PS Engineering 7000 audio panel and possibly a garmin 395 in an AirGizmo mount. My RV is a tip up for what it is worth. I am considering installing a set of .063 3/4" angles front and back to mount the rack to. Any thoughts on a better way to mount the radio racks?

Pete
RV9A 1072

radio racks.

Yes, I think i have a better way. I will try and take some pics and post but for now will explain. In the stack, I mounted an air gizmo for a Garmin Aera, under that a Icom Radio, under that a transponder. They all measured the same width so I carfully measured and scribed a cut line on the panel and cut out the rectangle with a metal blade jig saw. I lined up the upper left corner of the cut line with the factory whole in the panel for the canopy release lever.

Next I took the two trays for the radios and attached together and made a bracket or could use the 063 3/4 angle and mounted the two trays together in a postion that mounted the trays to the sub panel (after of course cutting a whole in the sub panel for the depth of the radios.) The bottom tray (transponder tray) had a protruding, call it a lip, that rests on the bottom of the whole of the panel cutout. In sum, the trays attached together are mounted on the sub panel. The very nice thing about this is it is easy to take the panel off as the radios simply slide in and out of the trays. When the radios are locked in the trays everything is firm. My tray bracket is now clecoed into the sub panel. I am concidering useing nut plates (platenuts) so the tray can easily be removed if needed.

Another key thing I latter discovered, by cutting a nice fit for the gizmo, it preasure fits. I can pull it out and get to the canopy lever while in flight. Not sure I would ever eject but giving some thought to at least having the possibility. (the lever is behind the gizmo)

Last edited:
Back