What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

radiator hose assembly

lewy

Well Known Member
Page 49-02 When we assembled the radiator hoses, hoses for the input and the output the springs appear to be to long for the hoses, do you have to cut the springs to get the one inch inside measurement on both ends or do you compress the spring to fit to get the correct measurement? The hoses are the correct length.

Just cut the springs to the length of the hose. They are to keep them open. They should not protrude into the radiator as they might cause a leak.

Lewy, you might also want to consider placing a 1/2" spacer between the adel clamp and the front gear leg mount at firewall to avoid the hose rubbing against the gascolator. I found this to be necessary on mine.
Dick Seiders 120093

I looked at mine and I have about 1/2 inch clearance between the hose and the gascolator. That is only a tapped connection into the gear leg for that AN3 bolt and adel clamp. Adding a longer bolt with a spacer holding off the clamp would increase the moment arm quite a bit. I'm think I'm more concerned about that than heat transfer to the gascolator, considering it is near the windy part of the lower cowl air exit.

Bill, good point, but I was more concerned about boiling the mogas in summer temps as well as the fact that if the hose shifted in use it could be abraded by the edge of gascolator. By the way I used the original bolt and was assured to my satisfaction by a very good engineer friend the bolt would be fine considering the support provided by the extension. To each his own, but I would rather take the precaution.
Dick Seiders

I saw an insulating box placed over the gascolator elsewhere on the forum.

Back