What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R&R Laser Cut Inboard Wing Ribs

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So, my plane falls into the category of laser cut parts in the wings. Van's recommends replacing the inboard wing ribs. My wings were Quick Builds, so mostly assembled, including the inboard wing ribs. Good news is, not attached to airframe yet. But, my question is: just deconstruct everything associated with the affected ribs and replace with the new parts? Anything untoward or not obvious I should be aware of? IOW has anyone done this operation, yet?

Unfortunately, I can't give you any insight on how to proceed, but we (my wife and I) received our letter a couple of days ago, as many others have and will. It kind of crystalized the issue for us. The letter along with all the information we've consumed (testing, analysis, expert commentary) along with our own experiences has led us to a different perspective. I'm 84, my wife is 72. Between us we have thousands of hours of military, commercial and general aviation flying. We built an 8A that we've been flying for 10 years. We like these airplanes. I'm still angry about the management malpractices, but first we save the company then we form the firing squads. Our build is essentially complete (90% and 90%). When you strip the second paragraph down to its essentials, it says you MAY have these parts in your wing. So I ask myself in a kind of Clint Eastwood paraphrase : "okay, punk, do you think you're lucky enough to partially de-rivet wings, flaps and ailerons, remove and replace parts and re-rivet, and have components that are better than what stands before you now? Well do ya, punk?" Politely, the answer is no. Agony abounds in the community, but we're going to avoid it. We will finish and fly. The aircraft will certainly outlive me and perhaps my wife. When selling or auctioning time comes around, people probably won't even know what LCP stands for.

My advice? Drill out a couple rivets on those inboard ribs. Look for any evidence of cracked dimples. If you don't find any, don't proceed to rip out a perfectly good part.

So, my plane falls into the category of laser cut parts in the wings. Van's recommends replacing the inboard wing ribs. My wings were Quick Builds, so mostly assembled, including the inboard wing ribs. Good news is, not attached to airframe yet. But, my question is: just deconstruct everything associated with the affected ribs and replace with the new parts? Anything untoward or not obvious I should be aware of? IOW has anyone done this operation, yet?
If you aren't able to get satisfactory guidance, PM me for my phone number and we can discuss. Your goal should be a clearly thought out process that will work 100% of the time.

Last edited:
My advice? Drill out a couple rivets on those inboard ribs. Look for any evidence of cracked dimples. If you don't find any, don't proceed to rip out a perfectly good part.
Would the cracks appear even though the plane has never been flown?

With a 10 power magnifying glass, laser cut defects are plain. Van's has a document that clearly shows representative flaws.

Dave

True, but laser cut defects at this level of magnification will have no impact on the part life. Vans engineering analysis used absolute worst case part condition (large visible dimple cracks with the naked eye), and simulated usage of the airplane with heavy aerobatic loads for its entire life. And that analysis showed no practical impact on airframe life.

This is where your judgement as a builder has to kick in....

Back