What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R 917 Shim

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Apparently I am to make this piece. The plans say to use .032 2024 T3 Alclad. My question is...what piece is this. I don't really have any scraps. I have a small piece from the practice kit. How thick is .032??

A trim bundle comes with the tail kit. I just measured mine to be sure I was picking up the right thickness but it's typically written on the piece.

There should be some extra after making the two pieces which connect to the Fiberglass tip. I believe they are R-918, make two of those, and you should have a little left over for R-917

found the trim tab pieces still taped together...different thicknesses. Will buy a caliper today. thanks

I also had in my kit a .032 2024 T3 Alclad that happened to be whatever the right width (1 1/4?) is for those strips as well as the shim you have to make on the VS. I believe the strip was 40" long. If that peice is used on something else, I guess i'll have order another ;-)

I don't recall having to make strips for the VS...now I am worried, and I just finished the VS. What are you talking about?

tip: skin thicknesses

Look in the front of the instruction manual for the parts index. This section enumerates every part number in the airplane, and it states what material the part was/should be made from. I've found this handy on many occasions. Now in your case, you want to know what .032 looks like? Go look at the various parts of the empennage and you can see what they are made from for comparison. You will find, for instance, that E-702 (Elevator Spar) is made from .032, whereas E-701-R is made from .020 thick material. So if you need .032, go find some scrap that looks to be the same thickness as E702....

Back