What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

R-917 fit and position

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
Hi there,
This is one of those "I'd sure like to have a few more eyes on this than mine" cases. I am dry fitting the frame of my rudder and I am just not sure about my R-917 shim that I fabricated. This position seems to be right. Is the purpose here to make the rudder horn 'tilt' some?

r917-2.JPG

r917-1.JPG

For those of you playing at home, this is on DWG 7, lower left corner just above the word "Exploded".

the shim is there to match the thickness of the rib. The rib mates with the spar, you need to radius the horn to fit. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, Trevor.

So the rudder horn nests inside the bottom spar against the flange?

Hmmm....again the plans aren't real clear here and seem to imply the way I have it built in the pics.

Almost

Gil,

As Trevor said, the R-904 rib should have its rear flange under the R-405PD rudder horn. If you look at your second pic, there will be an uneven mating surface for these parts the way you have it.

The rudder horn does set on top of the shim and rear flange. I also had to remove a small bit of material from the corners of the horn to get it to fit inside the flanges of the R-904..

Thanks for the replies. I knew it couldn't be right the way it was. I didn't know about the order of the components by the rivet call outs. That's going to be very useful.

If it walks like a duck, quakes like a duck but you were expecting a goat then something is wrong. :)

Back