What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quickest and Best Way to Clear a "Fowl"ed Runway

N702PL

Friend
Here?s a great video a friend took of me before landing to pick him last month over by a huge lake that is noted for having LOTS of birds in the area. They like to sleep overnight on the dark tarmac for the warmth and safety a fenced in area provides, but are always a pest! This is how I got them to wake up and move on before the FBO opened up. I edited it by adding some nice music, and put it out on YouTube so everyone could enjoy it. I really thought that it was pretty hilarious footage when you consider how many birds were involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YketFZzSI

I hope everyone enjoys this, I sure did! :D
Jim Lechleiter
N702PL now based in Charleston, SC

I don't think I would have done it that way, but I guess you must have "local knowledge" that would suggest that as a good option!:)

Bugs like the warmth of the runway. Birds like to eat the bugs. Never ending problem in the spring and often more so in the fall. Great background music!

This wasn't as dangerous as it looks!

Guys and girls,

I just wanted to put all of your minds at rest.

This looked a lot worse from the ground than what it was like in my RV. I just wanted to assure you I was no where near any of the birds at ANY time during this pass and they were completely out of my way by the time I came around and landed. There was however a lot of feathers and 5hit (not mine) on the grounds upon landing though. It actually looked like it had snowed on the field when I stopped to pick up my friend waiting on me.

For my upcoming 'Sequel Footage' coming out later this summer, I plan to put my GoPRO on my lower wing mount facing aft and get you another cool perspective of the seagul's scattering behind me.

Lech

Back