What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quickbuild wing or not

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I am looking for some opinions here (and I am sure I will get a few) but I planned on doing the standard build all the way with having the fuel tanks done for me. When I look at the cost difference between the standard wing and quick wing it is not that much more if I through in the cost of getting the tanks done for me. So should I just go with the quick wings, cut down on my build time? Also I have tried to find out if/how the wings are primed when they come from the QB factory. And lastly if I get the QB wings should I order the fuselage kit at the same time (as Vans says one week to complete the QB wings).

I still plan on doing the standard build fuselage.

thanks in advance for you feedback.

QB

I guess it comes down to being able to afford it or if there is not much difference in cost the QB wins every time in my book. You will have plenty of work to do in other areas and if your like me doing something twice is not much fun. I'm on the downhill side of building my slow build 9A and if I had it to do over I would order a QB for sure. I would be flying now instead of building. That's just me though.

So should I just go with the quick wings, cut down on my build time?

Based upon the fact that you want to job out your tanks, I would probably go QB. I did the standard build wings. They aren't difficult, but there is quite a bit of repetition.

Also I have tried to find out if/how the wings are primed when they come from the QB factory.

It's been documented, but I don't have the specifics handy. I think it's in one of the RVator issues. As I understand, it's just a simple wash to protect the parts from the salt air on the ship. Better than nothing, but not as protected as with AKZO.

And lastly if I get the QB wings should I order the fuselage kit at the same time (as Vans says one week to complete the QB wings).

Probably..... Based upon the recent delays to the QB program, you might have your fuselage done by the time the wings arrive. I would recommend getting a good delivery time quote from Van's before making a decision.

If I get the QB wing is there anything that will become harder to install (landing light wires, AOA, heated Pitot tube?)

thanks,

Something to consider...

Keep in mind this is simply my experience, from what my own eyes have seen, I do not know the chain of custody or events that led to this - so it may be the only one on earth like it.

That said - I have personally seen a QB kit (wings) that had one of the outer skins inadvertently scratched in a move from hanger to hanger. So much of a scratch /ding the owner decided to order a new skin to replace it - no big deal right???

When the owner took the skin off his QB wing he found a fairly advanced case of corrosion. Inside the wing - he would have never seen it had he not opened it up.

Again, this maybe the only case of this ever happening - for all I know this wing sat outside for 6 month (owner claims not the case).

I only bring this up because I too was all about the QB until seeing this and at first I discounted it and thought who knows how it was stored - no matter what the owners says or thinks? Then after the experience "soaked" in long and hard I changed my mind and will build it myself.

This way I can control the process and all those hidden areas of a QB wing - I will ultimately know and be accountable for their prep and condition.

There is much written on the basic wash that vans uses - very low quality in my and most builders opinion on this board.

On the other hand, major manufacturers of spam cans have not been putting a lick of primer on most of the insided of their planes for 50 years and for the most part are still flying - go figure... Guess it depends on how long you'll keep it, where you live, etc, etc, etc..

Just some items to think about beyond the common Money and Time considerations.

MM.:)

The QB wings have no bottom skin, so it is very easy to look inside the wing to inspect for any corrosion or poor workmanship. I found no problems in my QB components.

I went QB all the way on my 7A. I went QB on the wings of the -10 I'm building. I wouldn't worry about being able to inspect for corrosion, as one poster said, you can see everywhere in the wings with the bottom skin off. I didn't have any problems running wiring, etc in the QB wing. I was so impressed with the rivet quality of the QB 7, I went with QB wings on the 10 because that is really the part you see...and true to form, my -10 wings are as close to perfect as you get. Even after building a 7A and a 10 fuselage, I still flub up a rivet every now and then, and I didn't want that to happen on the wings. Of course, you pay for that...so YMMV whether or not its worth it.

re: SB wings

I went SB wings & QB fuse. The wings were really quick & easy to build. Even the tanks weren't that difficult, more messy than anything. It helps to have a couple of people helping on the tanks, one spreading Proseal, another installing and clecoing ribs, & one of you riveting.

I didn't get mine built really quick, but I think if a guy spent a couple hours each evening and a few relatively good, long weekends on them, I think the wings & tanks could be built in a couple of months.
This is based on the fact that it took me a year to build mine. I didn't get to work on them steady at any given time. Kids in sports, other hobbies, etc.

I did go QB on the fuse. Figured I'd makeup the time I lost by not being able to finance it because of an office manager embezzling 100k from me. But that's another story. The fuse is progressing slowly.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/panel

Back