What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quickbuild fuselage questions

dhmoose

Well Known Member
I recently began the QB fuselage assembly (or should I say, disassembly as my first steps were to unscrew all the panels!!). Upon verifying the assembly, I reached section 25-7, Step 3. Here are some pics from the instructions:

FP10042011A00047.jpg

FP10042011A00048.jpg

I then verified the instructions against what was actually built, but noted 470 rivets were used (and nothing was countersunk) instead of the called for 426 rivets:

FP10042011A00049.jpg

FP10042011A0004A.jpg

This is seen on both the left and right sides and doesn't look accidental, but then again, doesn't follow the plans. Did the guys in the Philippines make a mistake? Is this common? I'll go ahead and replace these but I guess I'll keep a close eye on the rest of the plans/build.

David

Goodmorning David...

Drill out those 470's on the forward side and install 426's per plans. If not you will have problems installing cabin cover as it needs to fit inside this opening fairly snug.

The inboard ones would be fine either way unless you are planning a nice heavy interior. I painted mine gray so they would have been fine the way they are for mine. Check everything over very well.

Yep. There were 470's in mine too. Had to drill, countersink, and install 426's.

Phil

ok another dumb question-

from a non builder-----Seems the QB parts are shipped to the Phillipines for assembly, then shipped back. Is there a better alternative to the shipping back and forth, and being able to control the quality better?
Perhaps some build centers doing them?
Tom

from a non builder-----Seems the QB parts are shipped to the Phillipines for assembly, then shipped back. Is there a better alternative to the shipping back and forth, and being able to control the quality better?
Perhaps some build centers doing them?
Tom

Synergy air doing them. They say price wise they are competitive too.

Synergy air doing them. They say price wise they are competitive too.

They did my wings and are doing my fuselage which will be ready in June. Their quality is second to none and they charge the same price as Van's.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more details.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Good to know, and thanks for the reassurance. I'll drill them out and replace them, and continue to approach the assembly with caution.

P.S. I can confirm the Synergy Air information as I just spent a week doing the Quickbuild course they host in Sunriver, OR. (Great class and great information IMHO). One of the attendees had the guys at Syngery Air assist in the building of his fuselage (and wings?) and he was very happy with the quality, cost, and relationship. And, you keep the work here in the U.S., which makes sense to me.

Back