What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Repair Jack

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
After my 2nd flat I need to make a plan for out in the field quick repair. Something I can carry with me as part of the emergency tools.

This is too heavy, the funny zig zag shape make it too big and heavy to carry as emergency repair tool and you need a Bottle Jack too...
181.jpg

I am thinking a simple metal pipe extension as above into the axle, but instead of the upward contraption for the bottle jack, just weld a flat square base at the end of the pipe. Usually there are cars arround when you get a flat away from home base. Cars usualy have scissor jacks with them. Hence a scissor jack can be used under the square base on the end. Some scissor jacks have a V grove that will fit a pipe, then you put the square base on top. At least then you can easily perform a field repair, similar as the above jack method. Lastly a simple pipe is easy to carry as an emergency repair tool.

Can someone please measure up the RV7 internal diameter and internal length of the gear leg axle extension for me? (My Rv7 is locked in the hangar with wheel pants on and I like to make me a pipe to fit)

Thanks
Rudi

Can someone please measure up the RV7 internal diameter and internal length of the gear leg axle extension for me? (My Rv7 is locked in the hangar with wheel pants on and I like to make me a pipe to fit)

Rudy,
The RV-7 gear leg ID is .875" x 4" long.
Something smaller than .875" will slide in fine.

......you can easily perform a field repair.....
Rudi,

Have you considered this easily stowable jack? With it, you have no need for a bottle jack or a pipe through the axle thus complicating tire removal. Stowed in a cloth sack, this jack can be quickly assembled and broken down into small pieces for stowage. I forgot where I bought it but someone here surely knows. Something to consider.

22z6ur.jpg

Rick,
I have seen this type before and searched for it from Vans and ACS. But no luck. Any idea where to find one?

no jack needed

You guys complicate thing unnecessarily. How about you pick up the plane with your legs under the outboard section of the wing, and use either a a wing jackstand (readily available at most airports) or the little clamp thingie from Vans (comes in the jackpoint kit) and some wooden blocks.

Hans

Jan used his VW Touran jack to change the tires (after too many flats) on the Meercat. It is small enough to stow in the wing locker and works like a charm. I found a 2nd hand 5 series BMW one at Cash Converters which is slightly bigger for R50 but it does the trick...

Below a link to a picture for what it worth.
draft_lens5725552module44321252photo_1246818283Touran-brake-change-01.jpg

George wrote:
Jan used his VW Touran jack to change the tires
Rudi, the one George is referring to is the second one from the left in his picture. I use it all the time.

Jeez George, What on earth are you doing with all the other stuff :confused:

Pick up the plane with your legs

Then make an appointment with Hans for an adjustment.

Ken

Rudy,
The RV-7 gear leg ID is .875" x 4" long.
Something smaller than .875" will slide in fine.

Thank you!

After my 2nd flat I need to make a plan for out in the field quick repair. Something I can carry with me as part of the emergency tools.

This is too heavy, the funny zig zag shape make it too big and heavy to carry as emergency repair tool and you need a Bottle Jack too...
181.jpg

I am thinking a simple metal pipe extension as above into the axle, but instead of the upward contraption for the bottle jack, just weld a flat square base at the end of the pipe. Usually there are cars arround when you get a flat away from home base. Cars usualy have scissor jacks with them. Hence a scissor jack can be used under the square base on the end. Some scissor jacks have a V grove that will fit a pipe, then you put the square base on top. At least then you can easily perform a field repair, similar as the above jack method. Lastly a simple pipe is easy to carry as an emergency repair tool.

I'm at the office, but I have this jack, and it works well...I *think* that "pipe" can be removed from the vertical portion...it's held on with screws. That would reduce the profile, and you might even be able to use it for your scissors jack idea.

Back