What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick question about W-706 center section

Clayvt

I got my wing kit second hand and in the original inventory the owner listed W-706 as missing.
What is W-706. Looking at the vans store it’s a $2200 part with no picture.
My question is, what is W-706? I have all of the W-704 parts, is W-706 just an overall part number for all the W-704 parts like a full sub kit?

Last edited:
I think it's the main spar and centre section. The centre section no longer ships with the Wing kit, its in the Fuse kit.

So the Spars are W-706L/R, and the centre section is just W-706.

Clayvt

Head on back to the Vans store and order up the RV7 thumb drive. It has the entire construction manual, all the drawings along with all the drawings you didn't know you needed. It's an awesome reference when you need to order small parts at the dining room table and would have answered the above question.
Have fun building.
A

I got my wing kit second hand and in the original inventory the owner listed W-706 as missing.
What is W-706. Looking at the vans store it’s a $2200 part with no picture.
My question is, what is W-706? I have all of the W-704 parts, is W-706 just an overall part number for all the W-704 parts like a full sub kit?
Yep you will need that part as part of the fuse. In the instructions it says they are matched drilled parts with the wing spars. Don’t stress they are not. I had mine replaced due to an issue….i asked that question. None of them are match drilled at the factory due to the extremely fine tolerances. That is what I was told. And probably why they don’t come in the wing kit anymore.

F-706 should be the baggage bulkhead.
F-705 is the aft spar bulkhead
W-706 is the main spar center section bulkhead and probably the part the OP is referencing due to cost. It's part of the wing kit. The rest of the center section bulkhead parts are F-704 part numbers.

F-706 should be the baggage bulkhead.
F-705 is the aft spar bulkhead
W-706 is the main spar center section bulkhead and probably the part the OP is referencing due to cost. It's part of the wing kit. The rest of the center section bulkhead parts are F-704 part numbers.

Isn't W-706[ABCD]-[LR] the parts that go together to make the W-706-L and -R? IOW, W-706 is not the center section bulkheads, but the entire wing spar itself? The center sections are, as noted, F-704E and F (NOT W-706 parts):
1719760447424.png
1719760334983.png

That depends on where you look.
According to plans yes.
According to the Vans Store, W-706 is three parts. L, R & Center. If you search the store for F-704, the results are all the parts attached to W-706. Rather confusing but understandable since the center section really is part of the wing kit.
Screenshot_20240630-104444_Samsung Internet.jpg

Indeed it might. ETA: I see what it's saying now...yeah, W-706 is the bundled bunch of all the pieces of the entire center section. Got it. Thx.

Indeed it might. ETA: I see what it's saying now...yeah, W-706 is the bundled bunch of all the pieces of the entire center section. Got it. Thx.
Actually it's two center section spars already assembled. Minor clarification. All the 704 parts get attached to fabricate the complete F-704 bulkhead. Two spacers are typically used when the bottom skins are drilled and riveted to make sure the center section spars are correctly spaced for the wing spars. The wing spars are all very close to identical, but it really helps to have a set of Buller spacers unique to your wings. That way the wings go in perfectly later.

Back