What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick Q? Canopy lexan hole size

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I've done my first drill on the canopy using #30. I remember I need to drill the holes out larger so the canopy can flex without cracking. What size :confused:

Last edited:
One trick a number of us have used is to drill them out to 0.25, then cut washers out of surgical rubber tubing with an OD of 1/4, and an ID of 1/8. Make the washers as thick as the plexi. Now you have given the plexi a chance to grow and flex.

I've done two canopies that way, with good long term results.

One trick a number of us have used is to drill them out to 0.25, then cut washers out of surgical rubber tubing with an OD of 1/4, and an ID of 1/8. Make the washers as thick as the plexi. Now you have given the plexi a chance to grow and flex.

I've done two canopies that way, with good long term results.

The rivet head isn't 1/4"... does it just float?

Sorry - This if you are putting the rivet through a canopy skirt - you drill the skirt to 1/8", and use it like a huge washer!

ok... yes, got it

makes sense... but I'm directly riveting it, I think I'll just go one 9/64th and pray to the cracking gods.

ok... yes, got it

makes sense... but I'm directly riveting it, I think I'll just go one 9/64th and pray to the cracking gods.

Back