What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

quick pn help - aileron bushing

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi, I'm at work, drilling out the brass aileron bellcrank bushings - and somehow I split one, longitudinal cracks - as in plural. I would not have thought that was possible, seeing as I had chucked it up in a collet, was using a light lube, and only drilling out to F at 2000 rpm, but it's cracked. First one was perfect. I can only suspect the material at this point.

Clarification: Under 10x power, I count no less than 8 longitudinal cracks in the material visible on the outside of the tube. I'd love to say I did something dumb, but the machinist and the metaurgist say no. Something isn't right with the mat'l.

I put in an order late yesterday with Van's for some other stuff(bent pushrod, grrr), and I'm hoping to catch that order before it goes - but I need the brass bushing part number - and any take a quick look for me? I think it's on 15, but it's somewhere between 11 and 16 (duh!).

Thanks in advance!

Rick 90432

Last edited:
Do you mean the material used for the spacers?

If you mean the material where the bolts ride through attach brackets on the ailerons themselves then the material is cut from AT6-058x5/16 stock according to my preview set of drawings on dwg 13.

Brass bellcrank bushing

It's the bushing that the aileron bellcranks rotate around, as mounted to the spar. The at6-049x1.25 +VA-169 tube comes in one side, the steel tube goes to the aileron. There is a long(2.5") AN4 bolt that goes through the angle brackets with bolt to the spar, through the subject bushing.

I've got this bushing - one good, one bad - in front of me, and one thing that's only striking me now is that are a different color. the good one looks like brass, the ungood one looks more like bronze.

Rick 90432

Aileron Bellcrank Spacer - W929

OK - I think I understand what part now. That material is also AT6-058x5/16 at approx. 1 1/16 long per drawing 9 - detail B rear view. See Note 1: brass bushing must be 1/64 to 1/32 longer than the steel bellcrank tube, shorten brass bushing or steel tube as required.

Back