What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions on Oregon/Washington coast trip

ballardje

I'm New Here
I'm planning a 5 day trip to fly up the North coast of California, Oregon & Washington the week of Sept 11.

Any recommendations as to towns to visit, scenic coastal places to stay, or places I should not pass up?

Depart Denver on 9/9 and overnight at Lake Tahoe. 9/10 and 9/11 it's overnight on the CA coast west of Santa Rosa. Depart Santa Rosa, CA on 9/12 and proceed north and wind up just north of Seattle. Don't have a firm schedule after 9/11. I was thinking of staying in Bend, Oregon but though I'd ask others who have possibly made the same trip.

Suggestions?

Jerry Ballard

e-mail: [email protected]

Loch Leven Lodge is a fun alternative to Lake Tahoe. Truckee Airport is a couple of miles from the lodge. Rental cars are available, as are taxis.
Once you get up north of Seattle, Friday Harbor is a nice place. It is a short walk to town from the airport.

Last edited:
Tillamook

Tillamook OR is a definite must. It is right on the coast in Northern Oregon. There is a nice Museum in an old Blimp hangar that is worth seeing. Astoria OR is also nice, but there is nothing at all on the airport. Hoquiam WA is a nice place to stop for lunch and gas.

Must See

A few miles inland from Tillamook is the Evergreen Aircraft Museum which is outstanding and includes the Spruce Goose. It is across the street from McMinnville Airport.

Also, in Seattle, fly into Boeing Field (BFI) where the Seattle Museum of Flight is located -- another outstanding museum. Call the museum security guy ahead of time and you can park your airplane right next to the museum and he'll let you through the gate.

Then north of Seattle fly into Paine field, take a tour of the Boeing factor, and also I believe Paul Allen -- Microsoft Billionaire -- has an awesome warbird collection that would be neat to see.

Of course, there is Vans Aircraft Company to see ...

If you are interested in visiting Red Wood National Park Arcata Airport (KACV) is the one to land. There are rental car counters in the terminal building (no need to call Enterprise). Holiday Inn Express is right outside of the airport.

from Hayward to Red Wood

Jet boat rides....

Stop in Gold Beach, Or. Short walk to get on the jet boat ride up the Rouge River. It is an all day adventure.

Kent

0Q5 Shelter Cove Airport

0Q5 Shelter Cove Airport, CA

if the weather cooperates

01219.jpg

Jerry,

I live in Portland, Oregon. I sent you a PM with some additional suggestions, including a stop in Pacific City on the coast, or a visit to the Columbia River Gorge area. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the CA, OR, WA recommendations

I appreciate the recommendations and will incorporate as many as we can in our trip.

Jerry

If you make it up to Paine Field north of Seattle, visit the Boeing factory (747s, 767s, and the new 787's), Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection and the Historic Flight Foundation (both of which feature flying, perfectly restored WWII aircraft), and the Museum of Flight's Restoration Facility. And then also come visit the Dynon factory.

-Robert
Dynon Marketing

Back