What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions for the Australian Builders

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I have some questions about build rules and registration procedures as they apply in Australia. I've also posted these on the SAAA website, but suspect I may get a quicker response here.

As I understand it, in the US the RV12 is usually built under the E-LSA rules which require strict adherence to the plans and all parts to be sourced from VAN's. Builders can't carry out any maintenance unless they undertake 16 hours of instruction. Alternatively, builders can build under the E-AB rules which require 51% owner input, but allow builders to carry out any modications they like and do all their own maintenance. However, presumably an E-LSA certified aircraft will hold it's value better (and may be safer) as it's built to a defined standard.

Although I've read the SAAA documentation, I'm still unclear on the rules that apply in Australia. Given that the RV12 is a fairly new design, I assume it comes under the `Experimental' system, so I'm responsible for build quality and maintenance. Am I correct in assuming that we don't have the equivalent of the E-LSA category over here?

If we don't, is there any reason why I should, for example, buy and import the Rotax engine from VAN's instead of getting one locally at a cheaper price? Same with the instruments. VAN's have a standard package for the aircraft that has to be used if the E-LSA rules are followed, but do I need to do that here? If I don't do it, then VAN's won't give me E-LSA certification, but does that matter in Australia?

Also, what are the pros and cons of having VH- registration as opposed to RA- registration, and how does that affect the build process and maintenance procedures?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd appreciate some clarification or advice on where to go for the information.

Regards
Robert

Last edited:
maintenance on an E-LSA

One clarification (and I suspect one of the DARs will weigh-in). It is my understanding that the owner can perform maintenance on their E-LSA without the 16 hour course. You just cannot sign off on the annual condition inspection without taking the course, passing the test, and having the plane added to your certification at a FSDO.

australia build

I am building an rv 12 wings finished waiting for the rest to turn up
I priced an engine in australia and although is seems cheaper It doesnt come with exhaust engine cradle or the radiators so it is still cheaper to get it from vans
ashley

Aussie RV12's

Robert as U search thro the Forum here you will find RV 12's build under Both RAA and VH rego Banners mate.. Not sure how much trouble the had doing this as its a 1 st cab off the rank so to speak! I have an RV builder here who has built multiple RV models & he advises me to go Experimental way so there you go...........
Cheers John H.

Thanks Ashley. That's very helpful. I want to build it by the book, but if there was a significant saving by buying the engine locally then I'd have to think about it. Those things are expensive!
Regards
Robert

John, I'm still unsure about the implications of RAA or VH, but I'll figure that one out while the plane is being shipped. Thanks for the input.
Robert.

One clarification (and I suspect one of the DARs will weigh-in). It is my understanding that the owner can perform maintenance on their E-LSA without the 16 hour course. You just cannot sign off on the annual condition inspection without taking the course, passing the test, and having the plane added to your certification at a FSDO.

In addition the builder may also perform any modifications after the aircraft is certificated.

Answers for the Australian Builders

Hi Robert,

If you send me an Email at [email protected] I may be able to answer most if not all your questions as I am the only one flying an RV-12 in Australia and did not buy engine or avionics from Van's.
I would be only too happy to help.

Tony

Mel,
Thanks for that. Just curious, but what is the point of certification if you can make any change you like after it's been certified?
Regards
Robert

Mel,
Thanks for that. Just curious, but what is the point of certification if you can make any change you like after it's been certified?
Regards
Robert

FAA does not answer "WHY" questions!

Back