What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions for engine builders

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
While I am not ready for a motor yet, it is probably the next major decision I will need to make. Therefore, I have decided to make the most of my time at AirVenture and hit all the major engine builders. Having never purchase a stand-alone engine, I am starting to compile a list of questions to ask them and things to look for. Below is the *very* short list I have put together so far, but I would like to learn from your experiences. What do think I should add to the list?
  • How long have you been in business?
  • What are the warranty terms and/or options?
  • Does the warranty start from date or purchase/delivery or first start?
  • What ignition options are available?
  • What fuel delivery options are available?
  • What general options are available?
  • What is the lead-time?
  • How much of a deposit is required?
  • What kind of support do you offer?
  • How are your engines tested prior to delivery?
  • How familiar are you with the Van's line of A/C?
  • What do you suggest for an engine and why?
  • What are the fuel requirements for engine X?
Thanks for your input!

How about:
What do you do differently then the other manufacturers/ engine assemblers?
What is the difference between your engine and say one form the factory or another supplier?
Are the accessories supplied new or rebuilt?
What parts in the engine, if any, are not new?
What parts used in the engine are not certified?
Can You supply references?
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Great thread Brad! I am doing the exact same thing at OSH, and this list of questions will help immensly!! :cool:

Me too! Though still on the wings I have decided on canopy and gear so engine is right there next on the list of decisions. The vendors may get tired of hearing the same list by the time everyone goes through. ;)

Questions for Engine Builders

Most of the engine builders that are going to be at OSH will be pretty well established. It's an expensive trip, and even some of the most experienced builders never show at OSH.

One big thing to look for is whether the engines are built to Factory New Limits or Serviceable Limits. This is where you'll see a lot of differences in prices. There's not a lot of mark up in the engine business, and if the price variances are too big, something is not being done.

Make sure you compare apples to apples. Some shops charge extra for things like balancing, painting, crating your engine, etc. Also beware of engine shops that tell you they can give you 340-350 hp on a P/H 540. It's just not going to happen.

Good luck and hope to see you at OSH.

Rhonda Barrett-Bewley
Barrett Precision Engines, Inc.
2870-B N. Sheridan Rd.
Tulsa, OK 74115
(918) 835-1089 phone
(918) 835-1754
www.barrettprecisionengines.com

Mahlon and Rhonda... excellent information. Thank you. See you both next month.

JohnR said:
The vendors may get tired of hearing the same list by the time everyone goes through.
Chad and John, here's the plan... We meet up and hit them together. We play good cop (John), bad cop (Chad), and not-so-smart cop (me). ;)

Last edited:
That should be easy Rhonda.....They will be the ones wearing the RV-7 hats or t shirts..............:).
Mahlon

RV7Factory said:

Chad and John, here's the plan... We meet up and hit them together. We play good cop (John), bad cop (Chad), and not-so-smart cop (me). ;)
I will be there asking the same thing. If you fellows would be willing to have another "not-so-smart cop" join the group we can really get the vendors wondering which way to turn.

RV7Factory said:

I might fit better as the not so smart cop. Aircraft engines are not my strong point. :eek:

Well then! I guess I get to play good cop and bad cop, I'll just stand there and argue with myself...that'll be the entertainment for Mahlon and Rhonda while you guys ask the questions! :D

cjensen said:
Well then! I guess I get to play good cop and bad cop, I'll just stand there and argue with myself...that'll be the entertainment for Mahlon and Rhonda while you guys ask the questions! :D

Here you go Chad!
good_bad.gif

Survey the flight line

Most put the brand of engine on their prop card. Do an informal survey to see what the RVer's are using. Probably a little of everything in both engines and props.

I did that a couple of years ago for a variety of equipment. Quite a diverse group.

Short list

RV7Factory said:
What do think I should add to the list?
How about Mattituck, Aerosport and for custom high performance Barrett. A short and incomplete list in no particular order. For a new (clone Lyc) engine outright, I like Mattituck because of price, Rep and ability to mix the best parts for best results. Send Mahlon a note. Mahlon send commission. :D Seriously their Rep speaks for themselves and they know RV's as does Aerosport.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
How about Mattituck, Aerosport and for custom high performance Barrett.
Thanks G. Those engine builders are already on the top of my very short list... the question was and still is... What questions (to ask them) should I add to the list? :) ;)

Last edited:
Back