What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions before purchasing Aeroleds

RetiredRacer

Well Known Member
I have a question or two for anyone who has installed Aeroleds.

Aeroleds have a RV nav/strobe kit listed. this kit uses the 10 watt "Pulsar" NB90's in the wing tips, and the 20 watt "Suntail" in the tail. My question is, is there any reason why you can't use the 20 watt "Pulsar" NBT's in the wingtips?

My second question is (as I'm about ready to close up the wings and want to pull the wiring), what gauge wire would be required for these units?

I have sent Aeroleds a email with these questions, but they have not got back to me.

Bob'nRobyn (Australia)

Last edited:
I have a question or two for anyone who has installed Aeroleds.

Aeroleds have a RV nav/strobe kit listed. this kit uses the 10 watt "Pulsar" NB90's in the wing tips, and the 20 watt "Suntail" in the tail. My question is, is there any reason why you can't use the 20 watt "Pulsar" NBT's in the wingtips?

You can, but it won't buy you anything. You still will be required to have a position light on the tail. At least here in the US. There is no need to have 180 degree lighting, since the wingtip will block any light towards the read. That's why AeroLEDs came out with the NS90 package just for RVs and other similarly configured aircraft.

My second question is (as I'm about ready to close up the wings and want to pull the wiring), what gauge wire would be required for these units?

I have sent Aeroleds a email with these questions, but they have not got back to me.

You have a 3A load on the strobes. 20 guage is fine up to 5A.

Also, order the NS90s from Vans. They're less expensive there.

bob

Thanks guy's.

Bob, I did not word that first question well, I still want to use the 20 watt Suntail, but I was asking for any reason why I could not relace the 10 watt NB90's with the 20watt NBT's.

I'm not sure the extra wattage buys you anything. Probably best to talk with Dean Wilkinson at AeroLEDs. He's usually pretty good at responding to email or PMs. His id here is Dean_aeroleds.

I suspect the addtional wattage is for additional LEDs for increased coverage area. If this is a correct assumption, the extra wattage probably won't be an advantage. Best to talk to Dean.

bob

Ditto what Bob said, the NS90 provides the correct coverage for the RV wingtip, and the NS180 coverage won't benefit you with the cutout blocking the rear arc. Also, there is less airflow inside the RV cutout, so adding extra power and heat is not desireable.

Dean Wilkinson
CTO, AeroLEDs

Back