What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Questions about Antenna wire types and lights

Doug Rodrigues

I see all types of different antenna wire being sold on eBay: RG-400; RG-179; RG-180 etc. What is the recommended antenna wire for an aviation NavCom, Marker Beacon, and GPS? I've heard that they all take a different type antenna wire?

What would be the recommended gauge wire for position lights? What recommended gauge for 100 W Landing lights?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

some answers

I can aswer a couple of your questions. RG-400 is the coax of choice for Nav/com.

A 100 watt landing light will pull about 7 amps at 14 volts.
If you have two landing lights you will need a 15 amp breaker or fuse and use #14 wire.
With just one landing light you would need a 10 amp breaker or fuse and use #16 wire.

Mark

Okay, thank you. Just retired and not working out of town 5-6 days a week now. Can get back to continuing with the wings and running wires.

RG-400 is also good for Marker Beacon and Transponder. GPS antennae usually come with their own antenna leads, which you should not alter (i.e. you are limited in how far you can run the antenna and you have to coil the excess). Both GPS receivers in my panel had different connectors but the supplied antennae each had enough reach to put them in a wingtip.

Hummmm...the used Panel Mount GPS didn't come with an antenna wire? I was just going to fabricate one of the required length. I just bought 60 feet of RG-400 after reading Mark Burns post.

Greg of the now departed Blue Mountain Avionic's put together a free downloadable pamphlet he titled "Aircraft Wiring For Smart People". Click on the link and scroll midway down to find it. It is E-Z to read and understand with pretty much just the basic's. Download and print it while you still can. I think he said his website will be up for a while until his website service expires. http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/download.php

Hummmm...the used Panel Mount GPS didn't come with an antenna wire? I was just going to fabricate one of the required length. I just bought 60 feet of RG-400 after reading Mark Burns post.

It's not the GPS that comes with the wire, it's the antenna. Different GPSs may have different connectors, so you should get an antenna intended for the make you have (you didn't specify, so I can't either). The antenna and wire are usually one unit and it is generally not recommended that you either shorten the wire or use an extension without guidance from the OEM.

Doug,
Sorry that my post mislead you. I guess I'm old school, but the abbreviation "Nav/Com" does not even make me think of GPS.

Mark

Back