What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question re baffle around fwd prop governor

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I've got a forward governor and RV14 baffles on my RV7. The 14 baffles come precut and the semicircular cutout that goes around the prop governor was presumably cut with a Hartzell governor in mind.

The Jihostroj governor is quite a bit slimmer so the gap is about .75". I can forsee problems here with baffle rubbers flopping the wrong way or some other potential issues.

I think my fix for that will be to rivet or screw on an aluminum semi-circle to make that gap smaller.

I was playing around looking at this with a cardboard mockup and it occurred to me that if I'm building this filler piece anyway, what would be wrong with just cutting it pretty tight to the governor, leaving say maybe a 3/16" gap and just sealing up the gap with rtv, thus completely eliminating the rubber baffle material from the lower half of the governor area?

Other than maybe having to drill out a few pop rivets if I need to take something back apart does anybody see a downside to doing it this way?

Picture 1 below is the gap I'm dealing with. Picture 2 is what I'm thinking as depicted in CAD. (cardboard aided design)

Attachments

• IMG_8698.jpg
    IMG_8698.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8699.jpg
    IMG_8699.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 67
Makes sense to me. There should be no relative movement between the baffle and the governor, so you could make that gap tight. And it's easy to get to if you have to remove the governor for any reason and re-seal it.

My bigger concern would be a lack of flow through the air filter with the plastic wrap still around it. :D

My bigger concern would be a lack of flow through the air filter with the plastic wrap still around it. :D

It's part of a product improvement kit that's guaranteed to keep the air filter cleaner. I'm planning to start selling them through Sportys.

Back