What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question page 23-06 step #5

mcems

Well Known Member
On page 23-06 step 5 its says to dimple the nut plate holes(inthe triangle cut out) on the left and right skins (flush the inboard side) that would mean the nut plate goes on the outside of the skin. When I look at it I wonder how one gets the screws into those nut plates (from the inside)as that area will be closed up. Looks like the wing electrical contact plate goes there .but there is nothing in the fuse plans that shows that(must come with the finish kit)

Anybody deal with this yet. Do we really mount the nut plates on the outside of the skin. ???

I have never had to call Vans support but maybe I will tommorow .( I would now but its Sunday Vans not open)

Oh ya those longerons are a challenge to form .but I ended up with a good fit.
Thanks

Brad Stiefvater
Salem South Dakota

Nutplates go INSIDE

That is another instruction that needs correction. The nutplates go inside.

John Bender
Iowa

Nutplates go INSIDE?

I think you might be misinterpreting INBOARD to mean interior to the fuselage. INBOARD means closest to the center of the aircraft.

Revision

The last revision of Chapter 23 is correct. Page 23-6 step 6 makes you dimple the holes flush on the outboard side.

Revision 3, date 10/08/12

Last edited:
flush outboard side

23-06

Step 05: Dimple the nutplate holes around the triangular opening in the F-1270-L & R Fuselage Side Skins ( flush outboard side ). The top center nutplate hole is inaccessible with a 3" yoke. Dimple these holes using Bucking Bar and a rivet gun ( See Photo ) Rivet nutplates to these holes as called out in Figure 1.

Dated 11/07/08

www.joesrv12.com/Builder Log/bl_23_06.htm

Back