What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on vertical stabilizer plans

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
When looking at the DWG6 for the vertical stabilizer, I noticed the 6 little crossed circles on the side view that say 'leave open for empenage fairing attach, 6 places on each side of assembly'

I understood that this is the connection point of the fiberglass covering between the empenage and the vertical stabilo.

What I was asking myself is if I need to pre-drill to #40 and dimple these holes ?
Once rivetting the others, no way to dimple them anymore so I'm not sure now if it needs to be dimpled or not.

Thanks for the help.

No, you do not need to do anything with these locations at this time

Later on, you will be adding nut plates in these locations. See drawing # 44 from your preview plans if you have them.

K1000-06 nut plates will be used. If you just happen to have them in your shop already, you could add them now and flush rivet them now, but it can be done later. Having the nut plates installed before the fiberglass fairing makes it a little harder to match drill the fiberglass part as there is some risk of damaging the pre installed nut plates.

Last edited:
Ok, nutplates.

If I remember well there are little dimples required when attaching the side rivets of the nutplate.

Since this is done later, is it still possible to dimple the skin and rib then ? Or should this be done upfront.

Last edited:
Hi Jurgen.

I left mine untouched. I'm planning on using the "oops" rivets for the nutplate-attach rivets, so I'll lightly countersink for the reduced size of the "oops" rivet head.

This alleviates any dimpling of the nutplate legs. (In fact, I've been doing this all over my project.)

As far as having to drill through two pieces after they are riveted together...I had this same concern early on, and everyone (here on VAF) told me that being able to deburr each side of every sheet drilled is preferable, but not absolutely required, especially if you have a nice sharp drill bit.

Hope this helps.

Also, I've seen some really nice emp fairings that didn't use all of the holes initially reserved. I'm going to wait and see how many I actually need before installing any nutplates. I may fill the unneeded ones with the normal AN426AD3- rivets.

Which brings up a good question. Who makes a really goodafter market stab to fuse fairing out there.

Danny,

Thanks for the link. BTW that's a really messed up video. I love the cherry orchard arrival though!:D

The more recent fairings are shaped much better than the older ones. I suggest to wait and see how many screws you actually need.

Back