What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on the F-705 Bulkhead

macrafic

Well Known Member
I'm building the F-705 bulkhead for a 7-A tip-up. The 705-G angle, on the plans, shows only 4 rivet holes and an oblong hole. However, the 705-D,E and F (the side pieces and the top of F-705 bulkhead), to which the angle is riveted, shows a few more holes. The angle is not to be riveted at this point, but I would like to match drill all the holes. Those of you who have already done this, are all of those "extra" holes match-drilled, and eventually riveted?

Also, the pieces (spacer and L?) that are riveted to the top of 705-F (the top horizontal piece of the 705 bulkhead) are to be riveted with flush heads toward the top. These are -4 rivets, and the materials are somewhat thin. Did you guys dimple or countersink to install these rivets?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

The angle should look something like this when you are finished all the drilling:

2003356884736851644_rs.jpg

And the seat adjuster stuff gets 1/8" universal head rivets on the angle but the sheet that gets bent gets 3/32" flush rivets:

2003366306139122308_rs.jpg

Brantel said:
And the seat adjuster stuff gets 1/8" universal head rivets on the angle but the sheet that gets bent gets 3/32" flush rivets:
Wish I knew when I was building that I would never use the upper seat back braces. I would have left all that stuff off F-705.

My RV-7's upper seat back braces have never left junk bin' AGL.

Easy enough to add later if the next owner wanted to...

I just got finished with the riveting of that bracket the other day. Those two upper outside corners on the vertical are the most cussidly hard ones to get at. I almost opted to change them to nuts and bolts. But to answer your question, yes that bracket is peppered with rivets. Don't rivet it together though. You save that for the real fun of attaching your roll bar and the upper back fuse skin. If you rivet the bracket in now later you wont be able to buck the three most foreward rivets on the side skin and you would, like me, have to take it apart and redo.

Back