What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on the 7 HS

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
Im about to rivet the Horizontal stabilizer together and I can't find anything in the construction manual with instructions on two things. The exploded view on the plans has a part that says to "trim the HS rear spar to allow for the elevator control horns to pivot forward and contact the elevator down control stop". Is this step supposed to be done now before riveting the 609PP to the 603PP? Also the plan view has a part that says "Leave open on top side only for empenage fairing attach, 10 places". Do you not rivet the whole edge of HS404 and HS405. It appears to me that there may be some nut plates installed there later for fairing screws. Im still learning how to interpret the plans but it seems like there are several steps in the drawings that are not specific steps in the construction plans..:confused:

Don't worry about the trimming now...you will do that when you do final rigging. All of the details on the exploded views don't have to be done now, but sometime in the future.

As for the nutplate holes, just leave the holes out. In other words, set all of them but those 10. You can drill for the nutplates later. When you drill those holes you can machine countersink for the AN426AD3 rivets that hold the nutplates on.

Many folks are putting their emp fairing on with fewer screws that day. If and when you decide to do it when you do your emp fairing, you can fill some of those 10 holes with rivets at that time.

You will see that the plans get less detailed as time goes on.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Jamie,

Thanks for the reply. That helps and I see that certain drawings are referenced several times throughout the building process.

Back