What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on nut plate location

Flyin4Fun

DWG 25 shows nut plates attached to the F 727 aft seat floor parts but not to the F 716 ribs below them. The F 716 ribs do not have holes for rivets to hold the nut plates, just holes for the screws.

DWG 29 shows the nut plates riveted through the baggage floor and the ribs. The ribs have prepunched holes for the rivets as well as the holes for the screws.

Is the aft seat floor to seat rib connection supposed to be the same as the baggage floor to rib connection?

Thanks in advance,

I'm currently going through this. As I see it the ribs for the tunnel have the nutplates and the rest are LP4 blind rivets. That's what I'm getting from the plans. Many builders have chosen to use nutplates everywhere for ease of floor removal later when necessary. Baggage floor is the same.

Is the aft seat floor to seat rib connection supposed to be the same as the baggage floor to rib connection?

Thanks in advance,

Yes. Drill and dimple as necessary to put the nutplates under the rib flanges.
Pay attention to where the single ended nutplates go. (its in the notes).

Thanks for the replies

After reading these replies and giving it some more thought, I think I see why the rivet holes were not drilled in the seat ribs. Vans would have had to make a new set of part numbers and punched another 28 holes.

More work for us, less cost for them.

I do think that the drawing could be a little clearer.

Back