What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on Hardware on the aft deck of RV-10

Put the hardware in the correct orientation. You can get a crows foot or make one from a box wrench. Or you can use a jointed drive extension. Or, as a last resort, you can torque from the bolt head.

In an airplane bolts are always installed with the head on top or the head facing forward. They're never installed upside down or with the head facing the rear.

If they're upside down and the nut works loose, your bolt falls out of the hole and your HS just left the airframe.

If they're installed with the head toward the rear and threads facing forward, they can blow out in the air. You might have lost a wing.

There are exceptions but they're only when access is 100% impossible and usually that's a non-critical attach point.

I believe this is addressed in AC43-13. If you don't have a copy you can download it from the FAA's site.

Phil

Put a bolt/nut combo in a vise, torque it with your torque wrench to the middle of the appropriate range, then put a regular socket wrench on it (preferably a short-handled one) and get a feel for what that torque is like.

It's also OK to torque from the head if you put a washer under it. Just remember that your "run-on" torque will probably be a bit higher than normal.

Last edited:
I was able to get my torque wrench inside, but it is a compact "wobble head" variety so it wasnt tough to tell when it was correctly torqued.

Calibrated wrist??

I just did it by feel------but I am using a really small ratchet, and it limits the torque you can generate.

These small bolts dont require much torque, surprisingly little.

I got the ratchet at Home Depot, The tool is stamped "Husky" 66604, but searching for it just now it looks like it does not exist.:confused:

Here is a photo.

images

This is designed to drive 1/4" hex bits also, works perfect for those places like wheel pants where there is no room for a regular screwdriver, or cordless drill etc.

Back