What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on flap brace

Brantel

Well Known Member
I riveted on my flap brace yesturday and due to all the various levels the base of the flap brace sits against, the skin to brace flange seems to be slightly warped up.

2000431639046612695_rs.jpg

See in the pic, the brace is not straight and flat but wavy down at the root end. I clecoed the bottom skin on and it will flex into place but it leaves the trailing edge of the skin with a little wave. This being where the flap hinges, is this going to be a problem? Anyone else see this issue or is it normal and nothing to worry about?

Wait to make any judgement. Mine lined up fine after the bottom skin and flap/hinge was attached.

Have faith in the quality of the Vans CNC work. I have found in many cases that everything tends to line up after all components are cleco'd together.

-Ron

Hi Brantel, a couple years later your post, I have the same issue. I clecoed the skin to the wing structure and flap brace and I don't have a perfect fit between the skin and the flap brace. In the same spot showed in your picture the flap brace flange is not perfectly parallel to the skin and I have to force it a little bit with clecoes to align the holes.

How did you solved this??

Flap Brace

It's been a couple years since I saw mine without a skin attached, but I seem to remember that it looked a bit wavy compared to whet I had seen in the past. Can you throw the skin on and cleco, just to satisfy yourself that all is okay?

My end result was sweet. All that joggling is taken into account when the holes are located. Now if I could just fly the **** thing! :D

Hi Brantel, a couple years later your post, I have the same issue. I clecoed the skin to the wing structure and flap brace and I don't have a perfect fit between the skin and the flap brace. In the same spot showed in your picture the flap brace flange is not perfectly parallel to the skin and I have to force it a little bit with clecoes to align the holes.

How did you solved this??

Just rivet it all together and it will work out fine or at least mine did. All the worry was in vain....

Back