What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for those who painted the inside of their cowl and/or plenum

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
I have a question for those who painted the inside of their cowl and/or plenum. What paint did you use and have you seen any heat discoloration?

I'm using a 2 stage (base coat, clear coat) auto paint system on the outside of my RV7 and I was planning to paint the inside of the cowl and plenum with the same paint. I contacted the paint manufacturer and was told that their paint will start to break down at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm going to install Van's adhesive heat reflector material inside the cowl where ever the exhaust comes close but I want to make sure the paint doesn't break down, especially on the plenum, where I assume it will see temps in excess of 300 degrees but I don't know that for a fact.

Do I need to find a high temp paint or is this a non-issue?

PPG Deltron base/clear is holding up fine on the plenum lid, as is PPG Shopline single stage white on the inside of the cowl. I do have a foil and fiberfrax insulation strip next to each pipe.

I painted the inside of the cowling on my Pitts with Imron. After 25 years it still looks good, except for some minor discoloration where the exhaust is within 1" of the cowl.

Jim Berry
RV-10

To echo what has been said, the inside of the cowl on my '8' is 7 year old JetGlo and it looks like new. No foil at all, one heat shield on the lowest pipe.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks everyone,
That's what I was hoping to hear. According to PPG all their paints are tested up to 220degF and BASF, makers of R-M Diamont, say theirs is good to 300degF. I was concerned but it sounds like I'll be okay.

I painted mine with epoxy then applied reflective heat barrier from ACS. My cowling discolored where exhaust pipe was still within 1.5" from cowl. Added more heat barrier and all is okay now.

Back