What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for rvbuilder2002

rvmv

I'm building an RV9 and riveting the wing skins solo. Is it critical to install the wing leading edge prior to riveting the upper skins? I would have much better access without it permanently attached. Thanks

Eventually, you're going to need a rivet buddy. Surely there's someone who might actually enjoy helping you do this, and the top wing skins are a good place to start out. Good access, good visibility, no awkward positions...at least until you get to the bottom skins. If you ask around, there may be someone at the airport that would enjoy having a part in building a plane.

Even though my wife had absolutely no interest in building a plane, she shot all the top skins on the wings while I bucked. She did a very good job--and we're still married.

Is it possible to put the leading edge on after the top skins? I'm trying to visualize that and I can't see why not. But eventually, you're going to need some assistance or some very long arms. I've heard tales of people back riveting all those rivets on the top wing skins, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to.

I thought that installing the leading edge was to help give the spar stiffness to ensure it's straight and aligned before riveting the wing skins. As per D-Dubya, try to look for someone to help - it makes it much easier and quicker to do. My son and I did the top skins in just a couple of hours. I did almost all the bottom skin rivets myself, but didn't even attempt the top skins without help.

Question for rvbuilder2002, for info, VAF offers an option called Private Messages, which you'll find over the Log Out option, top right of the page.
Very handy to ask someone directly :cool:

Back