What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question for a DAR

Paul S

Hi,

Assuming one builds an ELSA, is it possible to change the EFIS and still be legal? That would be the only change, from the D180 to an AFS 3500. I have heard a lot of different answers and I'll bet Mel can set me straight.

After certification you can do whatever you want.
For original certification you must go strictly by the plans.

After certification you can do whatever you want.
For original certification you must go strictly by the plans.

Mel,

Thanks. I knew you'd be the guy! I have heard so many different things from different people. Do you know which FAR I may quote should I need to prove this to a few doubters I might know? Your assistance/advice is invaluable.

Paul,
For original certification you are held by FAR part 21.191(i)(2) which references 21.193(e).
You are only required to meet these limitations for certification. After that you may make any modification you desire as long as the mod does not take the aircraft out of Light-Sport operating parameters.
I know this doesn't make sense, but I have discussed it with the head honchos in Oklahoma City as recently as this month at our annual DAR recurrent seminar, and this is the current rule.

Paul,
For original certification you are held by FAR part 21.191(i)(2) which references 21.193(e).
You are only required to meet these limitations for certification. After that you may make any modification you desire as long as the mod does not take the aircraft out of Light-Sport operating parameters.
I know this doesn't make sense, but I have discussed it with the head honchos in Oklahoma City as recently as this month at our annual DAR recurrent seminar, and this is the current rule.

Mel,

Again, thank you so much, certainly good news for me!!

Back