What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question connecting P-leads

Steve

Well Known Member
I'm using Vans wiring harness and Slick mags. What is the proper technique to install the ring terminals to the shielded cable? The shielding doesn't get connected to anything, right?

Steve

Take a look at this page from Bob Knuckoll's site - it is pretty self-explanatory in terms of finishing off the shield wire. The core of the P-Lead goes to the P-Lead connection on the mag, while the shield goes to the ground screw on the mag. At least if I did it right....

Paul

Take a look at this page from Bob Knuckoll's site - it is pretty self-explanatory in terms of finishing off the shield wire. The core of the P-Lead goes to the P-Lead connection on the mag, while the shield goes to the ground screw on the mag. At least if I did it right....

Paul

Sounds right to me, from what I've seen on other AC.

Add a short link wire...

The possible disadvantage of Bob's method is the strain put on the twisted shield at the exact point it leaves the cable... I've seen 2 P-leads broken at this specific point.

I prefer soldering a short jumper wire (black 18 g is good) to the shield, and then covering the exit from the cable with heat shrink.

The nearest picture I could find was this NASA preferred workmanship standard one...
I prefer the lower picture with the ground wire facing "backwards" and looping around, but either works...:)

401-15.gif

This shows a twisted pair, shielded cable, but it's exactly the same for a single conductor shielded cable.

ADDED

I forgot to mention the quicker 75 cent method.. parts from Stein... a solder sleeve...

SS1.jpg

gil A

Paul ... use your NASA standard.....:)

Last edited:
I prefer soldering a short jumper wire (black 18 g is good) to the shield, and then covering the exit from the cable with heat shrink.

I use Gil's method for P leads as well.

Although a number of certified birds you will see them just twist the shield into a wire, crimp on a connector and use heat shrink over it. This tends to get brittle over time though.

Thanks for the quick answers guys. The first place I looked was in my copy of Bob's book. Shoulda checked his site, too.

Steve

Back