What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about VA146 attach to rear spar

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
Dwg 3, Section E-E calls out the hardware used to attach the VA146 assembly to the rear spar.
The drawing shows 4x washers with the part number AN960-10. I am not able to find that washer in any of the bags, but in the bag that contains the correct nuts (bag 615) I found 6x AN960-416 and 6X AN960-416L. The difference is that one of them (The L according to another post) is thinner than the non-L.

Mr Google says that the -10 is a #10 size and -416 is 1/4". Does anyone remember if they ran across this during they're build? Did you just substitute the -416 for the -10?

Helping Aviation Stay Together, Literally!

Dwg 3, Section E-E calls out the hardware used to attach the VA146 assembly to the rear spar.
The drawing shows 4x washers with the part number AN960-10. I am not able to find that washer in any of the bags, but in the bag that contains the correct nuts (bag 615) I found 6x AN960-416 and 6X AN960-416L. The difference is that one of them (The L according to another post) is thinner than the non-L.

Mr Google says that the -10 is a #10 size and -416 is 1/4". Does anyone remember if they ran across this during they're build? Did you just substitute the -416 for the -10?

Washers, did someone need help Identifying washers?

I hope this helps (there is a cross reference chart too)

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/amelia/details.asp?store=&id=522&TName_HID=subcat

The drawing shows 4x washers with the part number AN960-10. I am not able to find that washer in any of the bags, but in the bag that contains the correct nuts (bag 615) ...

...I found 6x AN960-416 and 6X AN960-416L. The difference is that one of them (The L according to another post) is thinner than the non-L.

Correct, "L" is thin version.

Mr Google says that the -10 is a #10 size and -416 is 1/4".

Also correct.

Refer to a chart of reference dimensions to correctly identify your hardware. Here's one such chart:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/flatwashers.php

Does anyone remember if they ran across this during they're build?

Not this specific instance. But yes, on occasion Van's may accidentally send you the wrong hardware. It happens. Check, don't just assume that it's correct.

And as a side note, the hardware call-outs on the drawings aren't always perfect either (though that's not the case here). On occasion you may find, for example, that the drawings call out a rivet or a bolt that is too short with respect to standard sizing guidelines (refer to AC 43.13 and other reference materials). In such a case, it would be advisable to use properly sized hardware. Consider the call-outs on the plans to be a good first guess, but still needing to be checked.

Bottom line: "trust, but verify".

Did you just substitute the -416 for the -10?

No! Do not use a 1/4" washer with a #10 bolt. Obtain and use the correct #10 washer.

AN960-10 washers are for both #10 screws and 3/16" bolts (AN3).
AN365-1032 nuts are for both #10-32 screws and 3/16" bolts (AN3).

It took me a few times to wrap my head around this bit of weirdness...and the two different numbering schemes. I'd like to shoot whoever came up with the numbering system for screws, by the way. :)

I think the "L" is for "Light" (again, would it have been so hard to use "T" for "Thin"?). LOL!

AN960-10 washers are for both #10 screws and 3/16" bolts (AN3).
AN365-1032 nuts are for both #10-32 screws and 3/16" bolts (AN3).

It took me a few times to wrap my head around this bit of weirdness...and the two different numbering schemes. I'd like to shoot whoever came up with the numbering system for screws, by the way. :)

I think the "L" is for "Light" (again, would it have been so hard to use "T" for "Thin"?). LOL!

Whether we're talking about a "3/16 bolt" like an AN3, or a "#10 machine screw" like an AN509-1032, both have a 10-32 thread and an (approximately) 3/16" diameter grip. Same shank geometry, different naming conventions. Yeah, kinda goofy...

Whether we're talking about a "3/16 bolt" like an AN3, or a "#10 machine screw" like an AN509-1032, both have a 10-32 thread and an (approximately) 3/16" diameter grip. Same shank geometry, different naming conventions. Yeah, kinda goofy...

I think of screw sizes and bolt sizes like Fahrenheit/Celsius scales, that cross at -40 degrees :)

Back