What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about space and requirements for fitting wings.

Brantel

Well Known Member
Thinking ahead a couple years..

I am building in my basement garage which is basically 28' wide by about 25' deep. If I do some reorganization, I think I could possibly get the fuse in there and fit the wings (No wingtips) but it would be tight.

My question is.. if I am building a 7, will I need to mount the wings at home, do any required stuff and then take them back off for the trip to the hangar or is mounting the wings at home not required? If you must mount the wings, can you do one at a time to minimize the space required? I must mention that I want to minimize the time required for work at the hangar due to the distance involved for the travel to a decently priced hangar and the high cost of hangar space locally.

Brian, I just finished this step. You will have to take the wings back off to install the nutplates for the fairings. If you can put both wings on at the same time that is the way to go. I know people have done one at a time but it is a LOT easier if both are in place. Took me about a week to drill the spar, install the flaps, set up the aileron controls, make the fairings and mount the wingtips. Also download the wing incedence instructions on Vans website. Don

Mounting Wings

You need to have both on at the same time to set the incidence when you drill the rear spar holes. The plans have you do that soon after you 'flip the canoe'. I also did the root fairings and cut the holes the flaps at that time. But I don't think it's worth trying to set up the aileron controls that early - I think you'll end up making adjustments at final assembly anyway.
Now, that being said, I've seen folks say that you can also wait to drill the rear spar holes until you are ready for final assembly - don't bother mounting the wings at home at all. I helped my son assemble his 7A (now flying) the Van's way and don't see any reason that waiting won't work. But it means more time for final assembly at the airport. It also depends on your painting plans. I'm painting before final assembly (as did my son). If you do the same, waiting to mount the wings at final assembly is riskier for the fuselage paint job when drilling the rear spar holes, doing the root fairings, cutting the holes for the flaps, mounting the flaps, ...

MTCW

I just finished this step. Take a look at my post up in "show us the status of your 7/7A project" on the last page. My shop is very tight and as you'll see I had both wings on at the same time. I don't think it is neccessary to have both wing on at the same time to set incidence but it sure helps. Level is level.

Even with a small garage/shop, you can get both wings on. Just run one wing out the door.

Here's when I did it. I think it makes good sense to take your time through here and get the wings on and the incidence set when the plans call for it. That way, you can drill the flap hole and get that system working (in the fuselage). You can get your fuel vent line connected as well as get your fuel supply line perfect rather than just leaving it with a bunch of tubing sticking out the fuselage to do later.

Back