What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question about panel support ribs

docrick

I know I just started the dang project but I like to think ahead. Looking at the plans for the panel section I notice some support ribs that just might interfere with a "largish" EFIS like the MGL Odyssey.

Anyone have issues like this? I really like the idea of Dual Odyssey's but I'm not sure it will work looking at the plans.

If anyone has experience here I'd appreciate the feedback. I don't want to modify the VANS specs at all; I figure they know much more than I do.

Thanks.

I move my rib over.

Move it right about two inches and didn't put in the canopy ejection parts.

I need a better panel and I wasn't interesting in exiting my plane while in flight.

Kent

Kent, what is the yellow faced box, with the ribbon cable coming out of it??

Thanks,

That's my brains....

Kent, what is the yellow faced box, with the ribbon cable coming out of it??

Thanks,

Or the computer for the ACS 2500 engine monitor. I think that the newer 2500 are all in one box now.

Here is the expensive stuff that goes behind that.

Kent

My RV-8 is pre-prepunched and I also have the same gap. I am interested in the "liquid shim" comment. How do you do that? I will need shims under the wind screen support/ roll bar to make it fit correctly. Any suggestions?

No problem

I am going with a dual MGL install myself (Voyager though, not Odyssey). I talked to Van's tech support and they assured me that those ribs are only there to support the panel, and it's no problem to move them in or out to accomodate the display(s). Just cut it off and re-attach it where you want it with a couple pieces of alum angle.

I know I just started the dang project but I like to think ahead. Looking at the plans for the panel section I notice some support ribs that just might interfere with a "largish" EFIS like the MGL Odyssey.

Anyone have issues like this? I really like the idea of Dual Odyssey's but I'm not sure it will work looking at the plans.

If anyone has experience here I'd appreciate the feedback. I don't want to modify the VANS specs at all; I figure they know much more than I do.

Thanks.

Back