What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question about cherry max

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
I inadvertently drilled the holes of the bottom portion of the right elevator spar (E-902) and the bottom of the right elevator skin (E-901) skin the wrong hole size. Instead of being the proper size it is now 5/32?. The pop rivets that are called for in the plans will not hold as they are not large enough. It was suggested that I use Cherry max rivets. According the Cherry aerospace booklet I need 100 degree flush that are 5/32? in diameter with a length of two as measured by the cherry rivet gauge. Will the cherry max rivets be pulled properly with a regular pop rivet puller, or do I need to purchase a specific puller. I would appreciate any guidance anyone may have.

Don MacMillan

Make sure that you do use Cherrymax as opposed to Cherrylock rivets. The Cherrymax have a disposable washer/anvil on the stem that allows the locking ring to be set with a decent pop rivet puller. The Cherrylocks need a special nose on the gun to push the locking rings into place.
Jim Sharkey

I live in Glastonbury Ct and I have a wide range of Cherrymax rivets and pullers. I have nominal and oversize Cherrymax rivets? I could give you a few if you need em. Got any Idea on the grip? Chuck

My aplogies for the faux pas, my wife will reassure you that a tool does not exist that I cannot make an excuse to buy. "But honey we might need this some day" I have been away from buliding my plane for almost a year due to a deployment in Iraq but spent several hours this week on it before going back to work and it was awesome. A few more hours and the tail will be finished, okay maybe more than a few but getting there

Thanks

Don

Back