What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quadrant questions

flion

Well Known Member
I have Van's throttle quadrant for the RV-10 but I don't have the instruction sections. I do have the scanned sections 31Q and 41Q but the scanned plans have let me down before. I've already discovered that I need F-1083Q for the forward mount to replace the vernier control mount F-1083. However, 31Q shows the flange facing forward while 41Q shows it facing aft; which is correct. Also, the holes for the vernier mount F-10105 are too far apart for the quadrant on F-1003B; I'm wondering if there's a quadrant version of F-1003B or F-10105 that I should be using or if I just drill new holes in the lower flange to match the quadrant and ignore the original holes.

I'd love to see any pictures of the 'stock' Van's quadrant mounting location; the scanned sections don't have much detail on mounting the quadrant other than a page in 41Q that shows how to connect the cables to the quadrant.

Patrick,
F1083Q should be mounted with the flange facing forward for the quadrant. This is the opposite of the way it's mounted for the vernier controls. F10105 is only used for the vernier controls and is left off for the quadrant. The quadrant is mounted directly to the bottom of F1003B and yes, you will have to drill your own holes and install nutplates. I may have some pix of the install and will email them to you if so.

Bob

Thanks, Bob, I was pretty sure that was the case but I wanted to be sure since 31Q and 41Q disagreed. I've ordered the F-1083Q to replace the F-1083. Since I'm not using the stock panel and F-1003B, I can easily fabricate an appropriate bracket for the front. In the meantime I can clamp to the temporarily installed F-1003B (the Aerotronics-supplied panel will have the same height as the stock panel plus F-1003B).

I couldn't resist adding a picture of my panel progress. No, really, it's there. It's the clear plastic template that Aerotronics cuts before cutting the final panel. It looks like it goes a bit below the F-1003B (which I'm using as a brace for the bottom of the template) but it is actually even with the bottom flange. As a side note, that clear template looks really cool with the instruments in place. When they did the panel for the -6A, it looked like all the parts were just floating in formation. Sadly, it wouldn't work well as an actual panel - or maybe it's just as well or I'd be sorely tempted to go with the 'Visible Panel' look (like the Revell kits: Visible V-8, Visible Man, etc.).
FP19122011A0004G.jpg

Last edited:
Back