What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB wings and float sender installation

Gsuit

Well Known Member
Ok, threads hit all around this issue, but I didn't find any that dealt with it directly; so either I'm an island unto myself, or... well, it's probably something I'm missing once again :eek:

I have QB wings and I've built the float senders, somehow dodging all the usual traps of wire bending. They work properly, and "float" the right direction. My problem is I can't figure out how to see inside the tank to know if I'm keeping to the "1/8" maximum" measurement that the plans call for.

Anyone know a trick, or does it even matter with GRT calibration?

The KISS method...

Here's what I did....

First - take measurements from the wing to use as a guideline - ie. tank floor skin to bottom of sender.

Then take a small piece of 1/4" wood or aluminum or whatever small stuff you have lying around. Clamp it perpendicular to your workbench. This is your simulated end rib. The bench top will simulate the bottom of your tank. Transfer the measurements from the tank bottom to the sender to your upright wood strip and then adjust the sender so it matches where it would be mountd on the tank.

Check your clearance to see if you are satisfied with it and ensure that the float doesn't bang on the bottom of the tank. Not enough clearance just bend that last 90 up just a hair.

FYI - one item to be aware of - and particularly on the right tank because of the way the plans have you face the float - make sure that you have a little forward bend to the last bend so that the float won't hang up on the the neaest tank floor stiffener (aft stiffener I recall) Happened to me and I had to drain the tank after my first engine runs and take out the sender and bend it forward. More prosealing. Lots of strong language. What a pain.

Thanks!

Thanks Rob,

This is also what another local builder told me today. Makes sense.

Another item to be aware of: There should be a right AND a left wing sender unit. I guess this is obvious to those that receive both. As it turned out for me, I got two left hand units and ended up with one mounted upside down. This was the only way the bolt patterns would allow it to be mounted. Only when testing systems did I find that it read full when MT etc.

The senders are not marked right and left either.

Van's sold me a new one at a discount....

Thanks for the tips regarding measuring the correct bending of the wire.

Randy C
RV&A

Back