What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Wing Flap piano hinge

Rick B.

The ailerons are mounted and now I'm fitting the flaps. Problem is that the piano hinge that comes attached to the flap is about 1/8" too short. If I set up the flaps with the 1/4" gap between the flap and aileron as shown on the plans then the piano hinge doesn't reach the prepunched hole in the skin at the root end (the end nearest the fuse). Is there something I am missing here? I'm thinking I'll just cut off the long end and add a rivet at the other end.

2r1z4tu.jpg
[/IMG]

2hmmzok.jpg
2hmmzok.jpg
[/IMG]

I had a similar issue with my QB wings. So I just ordered another 6' section of piano hinge and will cut the half that attaches to the flap brace an extra loop longer, allowing it to reach the end rivet hole.

I just installed my flaps on my QB wing and didn't notice this - but I split my flap hinge in the middle and made space for two eye holes worth. This gives me room to pull and push in the piano wire from the middle without drilling a hole in the aileron bracket. because I split it, it musta given me the extra eye holes at the end (I actually needed to trim one off).

I plan to install my hinge pins via a gap in the middle, but I'll remove 2 hinge loops on one side and 1 on the other instead of cutting the hinge in half. I'd rather leave the hinge in one piece. Likely no significant difference in strength though.

Back