What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Pro/Cons

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I know I want to build the RV-8A, I also know I want to get flying sooner rather than later. I am not afraid of the building process, just want to get in the air sooner. My concern is what I will give up with the QB. I have read some comments with respect to wiring etc. I know I want to use the Dynon Pitot, is this possible with the QB wing, what about fuel (flop pickup, capacitor fuel qty). Quality issues, most seem happy, but what about support if something is wrong. It seems most just repair errors rather than getting new parts from Vans. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Mike
Plan to order kit to arrive this fall, I need to remodel a bathroom before I start the RV project.

QB +++

elliotthunter said:
I know I want to build the RV-8A. Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike
Plan to order kit to arrive this fall, I need to remodel a bathroom before I start the RV project.

Mike, A bathroom remodel, and building an "8" are both great project. Except in the 8 you might have someone sitting behind you to help with the paperwork. :p

But as far as your questions, the QB kit is open enough to do all of the things that you listed above. I had a flap that looked like a first attempt, called Tom and he exchanged it. No problem!!!!

GO FOR IT!! The QB will put a big smile :) on your face right now.

RE: QB Pro/Con

Thanks for the info, it was good to hear. I have wanted to build one for years and going to SnF this year and also getting a ride in a friends -8 cinched the deal. I know myself though and when I start the the project it will be the center of my world, so hence the bathroom gets done first. The nice part is that will take care of the house and the wife will be very happy. No kids so I will have all of my free time to dedicate to the project. I want to get in the air soon but also would like to enjoy the build process. Just getting on this site is a joy.

Cheers
Mike

Go for the quickbuild. If you figure the time it would take you to get to that stage it is a great value. My friend built an 8A slow build and it took him two years to get to the point that my 7 QB stated at. My flaps were also not good as it looked like they had been on the shelf for a few years and were pretty beat up. Tom replaced them with no problem and even had Partain deliver them as he had a truck going right by my town. Go for the QB, I started mine on July 15 and if I get my engine next week should be flying by the middle of June. Don

Maybe half-fast is the answer

For me, I decided to go half-fast. I am just finishing up the elevators and my slobuild fuselage ships May 15. I will probably order the Finish kit and QB wings when I am close to done with the fuse. I personally feel there are more 'options' while building the fuse than the wings. I don' care which fuel senders are used because I plan on using a fuel flow sender with my EFIS. I can get most everything I need in the wings while the final skin is still off.

elliotthunter said:
I need to remodel a bathroom before I start the RV project.
Good idea! Oddly enough, a bathroom remodel is what really got my wife behind the idea of my building a plane...
In 1997 my wife went to Iceland for her 2 weeks active duty with the Oregon Air National Guard. I took the opportunity before she left to get things ready (order Jacuzzi, toilet, fixtures, etc.), and the day she left gutted our one and only bathroom - to the studs and subfloor. I framed for the larger Jacuzzi, put in all new wiring, fixtures, linen cabinet, flooring, window trim, etc..
I hadn't told her I was going to remodel the bathroom, 'cause she never would have let me. When she got back I still had a few details and final paint to finish, but it was fully functional and my wife was impressed - she even liked everything I picked!
Although I had told her for years I was going to build an airplane, her attitude was "yeah right" :rolleyes: . After the bathroom, her attitude seemed to change, and she bought me a RV-6 tail kit for my next (40th) birthday!

I'm in the finishing stages of a -4 and I was just telling a friend that when I started this project I knew it would be a big job, but had no idea how big. Whatever you now think it will entail, quadruple it. I love building stuff so it's not a big deal, but if you're more interested in flying than building, go QB. And don't feel like you'll miss out on all the fun, there's still 1001 super fun jobs -- like filling pinholes :p

Let Vans know

gpiney said:
I will probably order the Finish kit and QB wings when I am close to done with the fuse. I personally feel there are more 'options' while building the fuse than the wings. .
Make sure you let Vans know this is what you're thinking 'cause you have to send them the center section of the spar so that they can match drill the wings. At least this is what you used to have to do.

Mike:

I'm building a QB 7A but the wings are the same as the QB 8. To answer your specific questions:

Pitot: No problem installing any tube. The bottom inboard wing skin is not installed. Some tubes are trickier than others and the Van's 3003 aluminum tube is deadly simple. Just a bit less elbow room on the QB.

Flop tubes for inverted fuel: The tanks are built, sealed and closed (except for the float sender cover. Installing a flop tube would require significant rework of a finished tank.

Capacitive senders: The tanks are built specifically for the float senders therefore you face the same issues as with the flop tube. The floats are the only real option for the QB unless you want to cut up your tanks.

Some things you didn't mention but I thought worthy to note:
Fuel return line for some fuel injection units may pose a difficulty for the same reason as the flop tube. Not needed with the Precision EX Silver Hawk system or with a carburated engine.

Landing lights, specifically the Duck Worth lights: Only SLIGHTLY more difficult on a QB wing then on a SB.

Jekyll

jmartinez443 said:
Make sure you let Vans know this is what you're thinking 'cause you have to send them the center section of the spar so that they can match drill the wings. At least this is what you used to have to do.

Not with the new "-1" matched-hole fuse. I just got the kit today and there is a center section in the box. And,,,,,,,THE ENTIRE FUSE KIT IS IN ONE BIG BOX. The only thing I had to order separately was a Longeron kit. They still send the longerons in the wing kit because of the length of them. I got a 12' long PVC pipe with the longerons in there. Vans's told me the Center section is no longer shipped with the wing kit.

The price difference between QB & slow build may not be as large as advertised--at least not when you factor in the cost of parts you redo.

QB For Sure

Got an extra year?

Most of us can find an extra 8k for the QB before we can find the time to do the extra work. Get the QB.

Enjoy the building process?? Get a plans build project.

Last edited:
Back