What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fuselage - What do you do first?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
Our RV-7A project started as a slow build and has since evolved into an RV-7 project with slow build wings and QB fuse. The wings are almost complete and the fuse is due to arrive in early Oct. I've read through the fuse instructions to get a general idea of the build process.
My question is: Where will the build start on the QB fuse? What are the first 5 or so steps that one starts with? The seats? The panel? Attaching the emp and/or wings?
Just looking to get a general idea as I have no clue.

Thanks!

I did slow build wings and a QB fuselage. If I remember correctly (it's been awhile, I'm on the ten year plan!) you need to go through the plans step by step (or close) to see where the QB stage ends, and the building begins. After you do that, it will be right in front of you how to proceed. Hope that helps. Glenn

Thanks Glenn, that was exactly what I was planning to do. I guess I was just trying to get a general idea since it is such an exciting time!

Thanks Glenn, that was exactly what I was planning to do. I guess I was just trying to get a general idea since it is such an exciting time!

Trevor,

First of all thanks for being so helpful when I've asked you AFS guys dumb questions. I love my 3500.

Glenn's advice is sound. You'll want to start at the beginning. I found a few fasteners that were not torqued properly on my kit. Take care of the due diligence and verify that every single step in the manual has been completed correctly. There we very few issues with mine, but there were a couple.

Congrats on the choice of the 7. It is an awesome airplane and I still feel the excitement every time I open the hangar door!

Joe

Hi Trevor...

....we drilled all the penetrations on the firewall per plans and installed the solenoids, fuel fittings and battery box. We then added fuel and brake lines/fuel vents and fresh air inlets before the rudder pedals were in and installed the heater box on the firewall.

We ran the static lines before the fuselage rear skin was rivetted on..easier access and installed the shoulder harnesses and ran wires back there for the electric trim and nav lights.

The rudder pedals and cables were nearly last as was the fuel selector valve.

We then rivetted the instrument panel supports in place but no forward top skin 'til all the wiring was done and instruments all installed. It should be the last piece of skin that goes on because with it off, you can tidy things up and test everything as well.

Best,

did you elect to use the centersection that shipped with your SB wings? Or are you using a different/vans supplied bulkhead/spar?

We brought our center section back to Van's. The tooling is accurate enough now that they do not need to send our center section back to the Philippines to have the fuse built around it. They are all interchangeable now.

Back