What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fuselage to TailCone

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I'm finally at the point of attaching the tailcone, but came up with an issue. The tailcone skin is hitting the F-1013-R Longeron. I trimmed the skin back some, but it is still hitting it. I'm worried if I trim the tailcone skin back more my edge spacing on the rivet will be to close. I was wondering if it is acceptable to tuck the skin behind the longeron. I slipped it back there in one fitting and it seemed to not stress anything, but didn't know if that was good or bad. The picture shows the portion of skin to either be removed or slipped behind. Thoughts?

b4mhVRM4YESlonCnpVhfGCVoQRuqbA04-WxLmtvYxsQ4TlwbmFCJ-zDvLOwl8zUgueN1P2lwgLbdBwToo-Ufa-LF8Z52eGOB8jBlve78vSsWFo-sSK8TD9FoTvSuxfAKmYf-Oec24ipHNeA0AMLR6J8JCbt9JdlvXGrpIPCkUY6COgqKkDUgHSBDvOIkoSzMazgde6kZf44Bl57ib1mZ0OfNnYXAXo1bnBZcPSZ8zLe13AdTdA2xvHH5Qm03DKQsBI4AW5-1A5pQSzuWd-9jvvjNrpEiNGx05vtMPAgAbs6MZahe_sgetuoIEhSFi-eVMIKRsbF_Pc1D3BczLWA2yUNt8g4G1XTvUEUGqk7z4KOVWWzeUIKDjkVeNOLm65OK9T_IhdMPT-sD2qKA0AZlpOfquwrK-x52d9WhA-9CJHwBfGDhXzzw7lm5EiBZ5n2i_y-AoZz9LXktPbKnxev2GnQwHm_jzclVUE56IDovWDO0tP4513Hk86udOC01dpWajiE37QyKFIjg6gavjEe-PqjAdIvFbEHwhUFbIm5vzuNQ8ZDCQ1N0ubQCuMGzSE1yPTnoVw=w1266-h949-no

My right side was like that too, I ended up putting the skin behind the longeron, was maybe a 1/16th of an inch. I was concerned with the pressure of the longeron on the rib, but everything seemed to work fine.

My right side was like that too, I ended up putting the skin behind the longeron, was maybe a 1/16th of an inch. I was concerned with the pressure of the longeron on the rib, but everything seemed to work fine.

Is there any reason not to trim back the longeron? I'd think you could drill out a couple of the rivets, pry the skin and longeron slightly apart, and take a 1/4" off of the longeron unless its aft end is supposed to attach to something...

Kyle,

That could be an option, but I think there is more risk to that. I hate drilling out good rivets on the off chance something goes wrong and I screw up more than I'd fix. Same with trying to cut the end and not mess up the skin.

Lynn

Is there any reason not to trim back the longeron? I'd think you could drill out a couple of the rivets, pry the skin and longeron slightly apart, and take a 1/4" off of the longeron unless its aft end is supposed to attach to something...

Thanks Andrew. I'll go back and look. I guess my assuming it was a quick build they would have done this before riveting it in. There is a pretty good bit of material on the longeron after the last rivet.

Did you verify this measurement? Page 29-9

Image.bmp

Guess I'll double check mine and if they're too long use my baby saw to cut it out.

Edit: At lunch I went out and shaved about 1/16th of an inch off the left by the baggage door and a little more than an 1/8th off the right side. Thanks for posting about this.

Last edited:
Well I sent the question to Van's and they said to just tuck it behind the longeron.

Lynn

Did you check your baggage door side? Mine hung out a bit, decided to trim that to spec.

I need to check that one. On that side the baggage door seal angle was overlapping the tail longeron so I had to trim and grind it back.

Back