What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fuselage disappointment

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
I just finished joining the tail cone to the QB mid section fuselage. This process requires the floor panels being removed in the baggage compartment.

Van's web site states that they use Sherwin Williams corrosion inhibitor on their quick build kits so you can imagine my disappointment when I found that this had not been done in the area between the belly skin and the floor panels.

I looks to me like the whole thing was riveted together, assembled for shipping and then corrosion proofed last before crated up. In my mind this defeats the purpose on using a corrosion inhibitor as it ought to be applied before that parts are assembled so it is applied in areas where it is needed most, ie between rib flanges and the skin!

I wonder if anyone else have found this to be so and what they did about it.

I think that's how they do the QB's Ivan...least from all the other QB builders I've talked to...now on my standard builld..;) I can tell you the manufacturer for sure primed those parts before riveting...but they are kinda picky company...so far they have taken 4.5 years to complete mine:D

Yes. If you are prime obsessive, you will be disappointed because that is how it is -- has always been done. If it bothers you, you can CorrosionX or ACF the wing and fuselage. Otherwise, unless you live in Florida or similar area, you can just move on.

If your RV will be parked outside in a humid or Coastal environment you might want to go to all the trouble to prime everything.

I think way too many people building RVs agonize over this and spend a lot of time priming. Most RVs will never even start to corrode in the perhaps 20 years than most builders will have them, especially if they are kept indoors. I'm guessing that the vast majority of RVs are hangared.

I say build on too, get it done and enjoy flying it.:)

Thanks for the replies guys I really apreaciate hearing what others think about the corosion thing. I have preatty much come to the same conclusion as my 10 will be stored in a heated hangar long way away from any coastal region.

I will take your advise " go on, get it done and get it flying" I am having a great time building it, I can only imagine what it will be like to fly it....

Ivan K.

Ivan my QB was the same. I felt there was more primer from the floor panels up and very very little underneath the panels. I have been pondering what to do and decided to let it be. I will prime and paint areas that I will be painting.

Geoff Combs

Ditto!, we spent 2 weeks priming the empanage, only to relize the QB was primed in this fashion, our 172 was 35years old with a tad, of corroison and it was in FL for 20 years.

Back