What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB fuse gap at aft bulkhead and WD409

APACHE 56

Well Known Member
There is a ~0.090" gap between the WD 409 (tail wheel weldment) and the aft most bulkhead assembly F-812-1. I've queried Van's but I'd like to also ask the Forum as to what to do. See the pic below. My inclination is to put a shim in the gap and march on. What so you folks?
ff7ek2.jpg
[/IMG]
thanks,
Don

Last edited:
shim is good

If it is already fixed in place by other constraints and can not be simply shifted aft to close the gap then, YES, make a shim that will be a tight fit between the parts and rivet or bolt through the assembly. Tell us more about why it can not simply be shifted aft to make contact? -- Ah, I think I see -- it is riveted to the next forward bulkhead, so the gap is the result of the two bulkheads being slighly farther apart than the weldment expected? Yeah, a shim will work well.

thanks guys

Thank you for the comments. The Weldment is already fixed in place with a gap is not linear from the lowest hole to the top (roughly 0.030" at the bottom expanding to 0.090 at the top). I installed the shims and our local IA and fellow builder gave it the OK.
I wonder about this issue since it is a QB where everything is computer guided/punched/jigged etc. Is mine an anomoly or are there a bunch out there that have been overlooked?????
Don

Same here...

Don,

Mine was the same way, I build a shim and moved on. My gap was nearly identical to yours. I am less and less happy with my choice to go QB each day! I wonder if this is an issue on the standard kits ?

The QB's are nothign but a pre-punched kit that has been assembled for you (to a certain point), so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a CAD issue with the newer -8 kit that would affect both Slow and Quick Builts.

Paul

Put the bolts in and tighten to standard torque and it goes away - noticed that, tried the simple method - moving on to other QB mistakes :rolleyes:

Back