What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

QB Fueslage where to start

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
My QB fuselage arrives today and in reviewing the fuselage instuctions over the weekend it doesn't really address where to start on the QB. What did other QB builders do? :confused:

Well, I built a slow-build fuse, but if I were doing a QB I would start on the first page of the fuselage instructions and go one by one, checking to make sure that everything was done to your satisfaction. When you get to an item that hasn't be done yet...that's where you begin.

Good luck!

Jamie has it right

Dave,
I also have the QB fuse. Do as Jamie suggested. Just start at the very beginning of the instructions and check things off as you go through them. Doing so helped me learn the construction of the fuse and names of parts. Yes, it takes a little time. But it will be worth it to you.

Sam

I know everyone says read the directions, check off the steps that are done, etc...

Do it...

however, I started on my fuse by putting nutplates on the baggage floors, attaching the steps (if necessary for your application), making the rudder pedals, installing flap system, painting, etc.

Good luck with your new canoe.

Back to front

Since it is unlikely you have your finish kit yet you will run into a road block quickly. Don't remember where I read it but it was a good suggestion and that is to work from the back forward. You already have your tail group done so you can get that mounted and get any wiring ran forward. Static system forward, baggage compartment stuff, wings mounted, flap motor stuff etc....

You get the idea. Worked great on my friends 7. My project was purchased second hand and the fuse was just under QB status. I did the instruction thing and the worked from back to front. Perfect sequence to get things done.

I've had my QB fuselage about 8 months now, and I still don't know where to start or what to do next. Terror is the fear of having to undo something because you covered it up, but "analysis leads to paralysis." So far, I'm just puttering along-- its all got to get done sooner or later. I'm presently trying to figure out how to pressure test the brake system before I cover it up (some lines don't come with the fuselage kit, but are in the finish kit). I ordered the lines, but now need the fittings. Just the usual fustrations, I guess.

It'll all work out. (I hope!)

Jim Pleasants
RV-7A QB, estimated completion early 2020 at present rate.

Due to the wait on QB kits, Vans statute of limitations reads:

From the day your QB Fuselage arrives on your doorstep, you MUST have one set of the plans pertaining to it completed within 7 days or you are in violation of the Eager Beaver box checked on your order form. If you are in violation you must forward for Fuselage to another waiting builder.

LOL!! ;) Its a piece of cake man, just do like many have done and work from the rear forward. It works very well.

-Jeff

Back